E 29 Engine Conversion- Atomic 4 to Yanmar 2gm20f

SAILSHIGH

Member III

All,

Does anyone have any experience/advice for converting a Atomic 4 to a Yanmar 2GM20F? I am looking for some help thinking this move through. Install, engine bed prep, Alignment or any advice at all would be great.

Thank you,

Ian S

Member III
Two words--- Beta Marine! direct fit / replacement for the atomic 4 and I personally believe the Base Kubota engine is a much more robust power plant than the Yanmar. I would at least look into it. Good luck

Capt. Ian

paul culver

Member III
From what I've been told you have to include a lot of other costs besides the engine to pull off the conversion and the total runs north of $10,000. I upgraded my original Atomic 4 with electronic ignition and electric fuel pump years ago and it still purrs. Also, Moyer Marine now sells new Atomics. Add plenty of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
I just looked at the Beta A4 replacement engine. Sweet looking little unit. Any ideas what this engine would cost?

Haiku

Member II
I did the conversion in my E27. A4 to a Yanmar 2GMF which I believe is very similar to the 2GMF20. I built up the engine mount beds with S4S fir and fiberglassed the entire thing. Then painted with bilge coat. I made a template using the dimensions from the Yanmar manual to get the proper height. I laid down 3/8" aluminum for the engine mounts to sit on and drilled into the new beds. I had to redo this about 6 times. Aligning the engine with the cutlass bearing was extremely frustrating. My template was an extremely accurate representation of the engine, based on the dimensions from the manual but when I put the actual engine in it was always a little twisted and couldn't be aligned the the adjustment in the engine mounts. I even ran a peice of string from where the prop shaft would exit, through to the cutlass bearing and centred using a large washer and tension on the string. I finally got it right and then proceeded to spend 6 hours laying in the quarter berth aligning the shaft coupling.
I replaced all the hoses, added an anti-syphon loop and sea water strainer. I made the raw water intake larger, from 1/2" to 3/4". I also ran new throttle and transmission cables. The direction of the throttle on the Yanmar is opposite to that of the A4 but I got used to it very quickly.
I also has a new fuel made and all new fuel lines and primary fuel filter. New prop shaft coupling, new stuffing box,
attachment.php
new prop shaft, new cutlass bearing and new prop. The engine enclosed will also have to be rebuilt as the Yanmar is taller.

It it is a big job but worth it, I think. I never even tried to use the original A4. My boat was a bailiff seizure so I wasn't able to speak to the previous owner, however, there were maretts used on the electrical connections, the fuel tank had lots of water in it and the engine was covered in rust. The prop shaft coupling was just a large chunk of rust that had to be cut off with an angle grinder. In the end it was all worth it and I would do it again.

Dylan
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 464
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 500
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 69

Ian S

Member III
If I recall correctly The Beta marine engine was around 7K and of course you can add on a bunch of extras. I seriously considered a re-power for our E27 years back. I have seen the A4 Beta replacement and it is a thing of beauty. After doing some arithmatic I felt it was a no brainer to go with the Beta direct replacement. for starters ,IMO the Kubota is a superior engine and the guys at Beta do an absolute top notch job marinizing it. I feel there is much more thought put into the details from a servicing and marine use standpoint. Because the engine is as close to plug and play as one can obtain, the cost difference will be in the installation not the engine itself. Retaining the original engine bed I think is a major consideration not to mention the cleanliness of the whole installation. Lastly you will not get any support from Yanmar if you run into installation issues. The guys over at Beta marine will always be willing to answer your call, send you documents, and give you sound advise.

Best luck! Cant. Ian

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You guys are nuts replacing a nice little freshwater A4 that can - worst case - be completely rebuilt for far under $5k.