E 30+ Fresh Water Plumbing

Joed7

I am the new owner of a 1983 E 30+ and still underway in understanding the various systems in my boat.

With respect to fresh water plumbing, my boat has both the standard starboard tank and the optional bow tank. Neither have been used for at least a couple years as the previous owner was a day sailer only and simply brought along bottled water. The bow tank is empty with the communicating valve shut off, and the starboard tank has some water with antifreeze still in place.

I have two spigots at my sink in the galley. The main one is powered by pump when the "pressure water" breaker is on. The other (smaller) installed to the left of the main, is powered by a foot pump.

Question: I am unclear whether the foot operated spigot is dispensing water from my tanks or water from the lake (I am on the Great Lakes)? I had presumed both were drawing from my tanks. But a BIG reason for my question is that water from the foot pump system is very malodorous - without exaggeration, it smells like vomit - while the powered system is fine other than the mild smell of the antifreeze. I'm having trouble reconciling this. Further, the odor has remained even though I've now run a few gallons of water through the pump system in hopes of discharging the offending subtance and somewhat cleansing the system.

Help!

frick

Member III
pump till the water is clear

Pump till all is rin out.
Add more water and pump it out.
Shock the tanks with bleach and add more water.
Pump it out...
Then refill with fresh water. And you should be good to go.

Rick

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
While it's unlikely that lake water would smell as bad as you describe, on our E30+ there is a Y valve inside the engine compartment below the galley that allows me to switch from tanks to overboard water, so you could be pulling either water from the tank or from the lake, depending on which way that valve is pointing.
I agree with the above post that it's likely the tank water that has gone bad, and a good cleaning, then bleach treatment and new water should fix that.

Frank