E25 condition questions

Fjord

Member I
I recently got this E25 and now that I’ve cleaned it out I’ve been checking the condition better. How much of a problem are these issues?IMG_1254.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 32

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looks fairly typical minor water damage to me.

The bulkhead to which the chainplates attach has to be sound, meaning not rotted or delaminating or loose.

Worth a close inspection to make sure the condition is just cosmetic.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I would probe the suspected rotting areas with a pointed tool like an awl or small screwdriver to check if it's mostly surface discoloration or if the tool penetrates and shows the wood to be soft. Especially important around chainplates and compression post.
If unsure I would hire a marine surveyor for an hour to check.
Frank

frick

Member III
Water intrusion does cause rot.
Take a plastic hammer and "ring" your chain plates. It sound sound "tight" if it goes "thud" your wood maybe too far gone.

Rick

gabriel

Live free or die hard
If you can still tension the shrouds then bulkheads are probably fine, which it looks like anyways. The chain plates technically don’t even need a bulkhead to stay in place as the bolts are much too large to fit back out through liner and deck. it’s a good safe design.

That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the chain plates, that way you get a chance to inspect them and the bulkhead.

Nick J

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You may want to check the base of the mast step post below the cabin sole. The top looks good in the pictures and the bulkhead doesn't show any deflection, so you're probably good. However, wood in the bilge doesn't last forever and it would be better to catch any rot before the block fails and causes further damage. Were the pictures taken with the mast up and the rig tensioned?

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I would check this one to see if that wood is sound. It looks questionable to my eye in this pic. As Frank said use an awl or shinny screwdriver and poke around a little.
1720756251398.png

AK67

In addition to all of the above, check the deck for water content and soundness. Core is likely impacted in locations of water intrusion - likely the chainplate. Good luck!

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Actually on second look that bolt head is resting on the liner and the chain plate looks to have moved up.
I'll differ with you on that supposition. I think that the bulkhead will be found to be solid but stained from moisture. If it was that rotted the rusty eye screw to the right would have been pulled out long ago.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I'll differ with you on that supposition. I think that the bulkhead will be found to be solid but stained from moisture. If it was that rotted the rusty eye screw to the right would have been pulled out long ago.
How could Ericson set the bolts so close to the liner? How would you tighten them that way without at least messing up gel coat. Here are mine:

3F2231E1-FC60-474E-B761-E9FE899E0075.jpegDAC53CBD-9DE4-4A49-BBCC-DB5E5B6557E6.jpeg6A785C12-05D5-4B77-9B6D-B30FC5580693.jpeg

too bad you’re on the east coast, i would bet up you a steak dinner on that one! :)

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Having had the opportunity to totally dismantle an E-28+ gives me an added perspective. We'll see what the owner finds. I should be in LA around Christmas.

Fjord

Member I
I would probe the suspected rotting areas with a pointed tool like an awl or small screwdriver to check if it's mostly surface discoloration or if the tool penetrates and shows the wood to be soft. Especially important around chainplates and compression post.
Frank
Here are some new pics front and back. The one on the port side has a small bit of soft area when I probed it maybe a dime size I’m not sure about why the bolts have ridden up, although it does look like they attempted to seal around the stanchion? Up on the deck. Here are some pics:

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Here are some new pics front and back. The one on the port side has a small bit of soft area when I probed it maybe a dime size I’m not sure about why the bolts have ridden up, although it does look like they attempted to seal around the stanchion? Up on the deck. Here are some pics:
Pics?

Fjord

Member I
Here are some new pics front and back. The one on the port side has a small bit of soft area when I probed it maybe a dime size I’m not sure about why the bolts have ridden up, although it does look like they attempted to seal around the
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Try "insert image/or click here", the icon located next to the chain "link" icon that appears in the "edit" or "new post" panel.

That method retrieves the image from your computer, and sometimes works better than dragging from the desktop.

I can upload MPEGs of 5MP. Once uploaded, they need to be reduced to appropriate size for the thread by dragging a corner.

Members say laptop or desktop easier than telephone.