e27 thru hull depth transducer

zube017

Member II
where did you guys put them, i'm trying to figure out where to put mine.
so far i'm thinking somewhere in the hold below the v berth.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
How about the aft Bilge?

I don't have one, but thinking of putting one in the upper "shelf" of the bilge next to my speed transducer, since it is a convenient wiring route.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I put mine right under the aft compartment in the V-berth. I have a speed transducer thru-hull to port and a in-hull depth transducer to stbd. Its the Airmar P79 I think so I can adjust the angle since the hull angles up there. Seems to be working fine there.

zube017

Member II
tranducer placement

i heard that in front of the keel is always better for placement. i also talked to the dealer at signet marine, he said it doesnt necessarily have to be straight up and down?

Emerald

General rules of thumb on placement would be an area with as little turbulence as possible, always in the water, and as vertical as possible. On my prior E-27, I mounted it in the forward bilge trying to get it ahead of the cut in the keel but still in the water. I think you'll find an area there that is pretty decent. The more vertical the better, but I believe for basic depth, you can approach 15-20 degrees and will not be too compromised. Think of your sounder sending out a cone of waves that behaves like a beam from your old D-Cell flashlight. Aim that light straight down, and you get a nice round pattern, start tilting it, and it goes oblong. Same thing with the depth sounder, and so as that beam becomes more distorted, the greater the error. Airmar, who makes many branded transducers, has a pretty extensive "alphabetized" FAQ here:

http://faq.airmar.com/index.php?action=sitemap&lang=en

Emerald

Under the V-berths will give you access to the area. You should be able to pull the cushions and attack from above, if my memory hasn't faded too much.