E28 and Buzzard's Bay

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a buddy that just repowered his Passport 42 due to the fact that he couldn't go anywhere fast in Buzzards Bay under power alone.... Had to motorsail to make headway. Buzzards can be an ugly place if you are running against the tide with the wind. Square waves and rough. If you pay attention to the tides, get ahold of an Eldridge Tide and Pilot book, this will help a lot. I mainly run to Cuttyhunk from Narragansett Bay but planning to run with the tide is helpful. Padanaram is very nice and a good alternative if Cuttyhunk is packed, but if you haven't been, you need to check out Cuttyhunk. RT

Pat O'Connell

Member III
E 28+ Universal 5411 1981

Hi Bob

Good advice from Rob. Cruised the Islands and Buzzards Bay for several years and Eldridges was used daily on every cruise. One year got caught in the "washing machine" that occurs a mile or two west of the Bourne Bridge. The E28+ got stuck in the west flow of the tide in the afternoon when the Southwest wind pushed waves into the approach to the canal. Washing machine lasts for about two hundred yards of 5 foot waves. The wind and waves prevent the 5411 from pushing thru west and the current prevents returning to push to the east. We sat there for a challenging and turbulent 15 minutes that seemed like an hour. Could have used another 5 horsepower or some better local knowledge experience or both. You will want to avoid that part of the cruise. There is a charted passage along the edge of Cape Cod that avoids the washing machine.

Good Cruising tho great place with warm water.

Pat
1981 E28+ with 5411 Universal

Pat O'Connell

Member III
E 28+ Universal 5411 1981

Hi Bob

Good advice from Rob. Cruised the Islands and Buzzards Bay for several years and Eldridges was used daily on every cruise. One year got caught in the "washing machine" that occurs a mile or two west of the Bourne Bridge. The E28+ got stuck in the west flow of the tide in the afternoon when the Southwest wind pushed waves into the approach to the canal. Washing machine lasts for about two hundred yards of 5 foot waves. The wind and waves prevent the 5411 from pushing thru west and the current prevents returning to push to the east. We sat there for a challenging and turbulent 15 minutes that seemed like an hour. Could have used another 5 horsepower or some better local knowledge experience or both. You will want to avoid that part of the cruise. There is a charted passage along the edge of Cape Cod that avoids the washing machine.

Good Cruising tho great place with warm water.

Pat
1981 E28+ with 5411 Universal

dt222

Member III
I did in an E'27

On picking up my'27 and bringing it from Warren, RI (Narragansett Bay) to Maine I transited BB and the Canal. As stated, I followed the directions in Eldgridge and went with the tide (spent the night before on the hook @ Cuttyhunk) and had no problems.

If my cruising ground was Buzzards Bay, particularly the upper end, I might think of repowering, depending on how fine tuned I had my engine/prop combination and how trustworthy it was.

BTW, the Atomic 4 is 30 HP.

GMC

Member II
Buzzards Bay

I keep my E-25+ in New Bedford and often go over to Padnarum for lunch or a swim if I've got company and short time. My wife and I just went over on Saturday, spent the night in Padnarum and flew back to NB in record time. Southwest breeze is always blowing strong on returns. Although I am wedded to Eldredge for most of my cruising in this area, the distance from NB to Padnarum is so short, that I never bother for a run to Dartmouth and back. I've got an inboard diesel saildrive, 10 hp, and it is plenty, so if you are just talking about NB - Padnarum, you've got plenty of power. Now, for other locations in BB or in Vineyard Sound, I've got the Eldredge handy and go with the flow, the current is much more of an issue in Vineyard Sound and Nantucket Sound and further up BB by the canal. I think you've got plenty of power unless your intent is to overpower the flow in other areas.