Guest viewing is limited

E29 Stinky Head....you may not have heard this one before.

geoff

So when I bought this boat, it smelled. So right away, long story short, I had someone install a new head, new macerator pump and all new lines, pumped out the tank...and problem solved. The smell was gone.

Fast forward to now. Two months of using the boat on the weekends quite a bit. I have probably gone out 10 times. My head plan was to only go #1, and never pump to the tank...just for when someone has to pee when we are out in the ocean sailing. Of course if I did an overnight, etc., I planned to turn it back to Tank, but I was hoping to minimize that whole aspect of the head for my day sailing purposes, which will be 99% of what I do. Anyways, so I set my switch to 'Sea' and off I went.

Well the boat had started to smell again, and I was sort of freaking out but hadn't quite admitted to myself yet that I had a problem. Until Sunday. We returned from a sail, and a friend of mine decides to use the head...which normally I have reminded guests to use the one on shore, its very close to where I dock...but he went in there when I was busy dealing with docking the boat, etc. Well imagine my surprise when he pushes the electric flush, and I almost get hit by a stream of nastiness shooting out of the AIR VENT onto the dock...ugggghhh!

So again, long story short...I have now determined that the guy who installed my new equipment, set the switch up backwards. So this whole time we thought we were flushing to Sea, we were flushing to Tank...until it eventually filled to bursting and started shooting out the air vent. So, so, so nasty. Now of course I have given myself the education I should have prior, and learned exactly where and how everything runs.

Which lead me to my next catch. The guy had not run the line high, or installed an anti-siphon on the line, when he installed the toilet. Consequently if I loaded the boat enough to drop it six inches, or laid it over on it's side enough to drop it that far...I would be taking water through the toilet....and maybe a lot of it. Whew! Glad we caught that one. Sinking is even worse than stinking!

Now I have a great guy helping me, and we are going through it. Truth be told, I never intended to sail this much before April or May...meaning to use this time to go through and do everything. The weather here has been just unbelievable though, and going out and sailing this boat is so fun. Every time I have a free half of a day...I opt to sail the boat, not work on the boat! We need some cold weather here!!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, at least you have the "sea" option. I arrived at my new inland marina to discover that the pump-out station is closed for the winter :0

I rigged up an extra "Y" to the macerator to pump out into a bucket. (Same thing happened last winter, but at least there was one open five miles away.)

It's vitally important to empty the tank every day that it's used, since all of the lockers are connected. Odors permeating the hanging locker and the victuals are bad newz:mad: I also picked up a six-pack of those pine-tree air fresheners to keep down in those spaces. The odor is slightly less repulsive.

Glyn Judson

Head love and care.

Geoff, Please email me back channel if you'd like me to share some of my methods, head treatment instructions and photos with you as regards, head plumbing simplified and head treatment that works, really works. glynjudson@roadrunner.com Glyn, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

paul culver

Member III
Geoff, you mentioned you have an electric flush head. I have the Raritan Sea Era electric without a vertical loop on the sea water intake but an in-line ball valve shut off instead. If I neglect to close that valve when I'm not flushing sea water can slowly find its way through the head and into the holding tank and once that is filled up into the vent tube. Don't know the details of your plumbing but thought I'd pass this info along in case it helps.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Geoff, we had almost the same experience with ours.

New holding tank, new lines, new head and still had smell. Purchased Peggy Hall's book on eliminating smell and used great advice offered here. Stopped leaving seawater in the intake hose to eliminate the rotten egg smell, flushed with fresh water when possible, etc....

Our marina is a "Green Marina" and provides free pump outs at our slip, just hang the orange flag and they stop by every Tuesday. This should have eliminated any smell!

Stopped at a nearby fuel dock on our way for a five day cruise and asked them to empty the (supposedly) already empty tank. It was full!

We discovered that the vent line was clogged when a slip neighbor saw raw sewage coming out of the vent on the transom. Problem solved!