• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ sink in head | Drain is too high & water pools

Ahoy! The sink drain on my E30+ has a design flaw—it's too high by a few millimeters. Does anyone have a solution beyond coring out the drain and grinding it down a bit? Or, do I leave a tiny squeegee next to the sink? And yes, that manual pump faucet head is going to be replaced.

D352959A-E813-4205-A216-F92D7E7CD18E.jpeg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A resident kitchen sponge, perhaps . Absorb, one squeeze, bowl is clean and dry. Women visitors will swoon, as a clean sponge (especially a new one!) near any source of water proves commitment to all relationships.

Yeah, it's the lazy way out. But when I went to change out the faucets and vents on my galley sink, I encountered insurmountable barriers to sanity, and just polished them up and forgot about it. Maybe your cabinet has better access. Mine meant removing the sink, which was attached with inaccessible rusted bolts and caulk which no prybar could urge without Formica destruction.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I agree with Christian to keep a sponge nearby, rather than trying to grind down the drain. Mine is the same as in your pic, no big deal. :)
However, you also mention getting rid of the manual faucet in the pic. In our 1984 E30+ that corner piece is not a manual faucet, it's the vent for the water tank, which is essential for your taps to work without creating a vacuum. You can test to see if I'm right by listening to it while someone turns on your water, or by blowing into that vent with a small hose -- you would hear bubbles in the water tank and your breath coming back at you.
It's possible yours is an actual foot pump, perhaps modified by a previous owner, but don't simply remove it without checking.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
that corner piece is not a manual faucet, it's the vent for the water tank,
Agree. EY installed that identical vent fitting for each of our 2 water tanks. I eventually changed them both to nearby locations, to declutter the countertops. But, that's another (boring) story. :)

Last edited:
I agree with Christian to keep a sponge nearby, rather than trying to grind down the drain. Mine is the same as in your pic, no big deal. :)
However, you also mention getting rid of the manual faucet in the pic. In our 1984 E30+ that corner piece is not a manual faucet, it's the vent for the water tank, which is essential for your taps to work without creating a vacuum. You can test to see if I'm right by listening to it while someone turns on your water, or by blowing into that vent with a small hose -- you would hear bubbles in the water tank and your breath coming back at you.
It's possible yours is an actual foot pump, perhaps modified by a previous owner, but don't simply remove it without checking.
Frank
Thanks for the tip, Frank. Fortunately, it is actually attached to the foot pump down below. I've got another one aft in the galley as well.

A resident kitchen sponge, perhaps . Absorb, one squeeze, bowl is clean and dry. Women visitors will swoon, as a clean sponge (especially a new one!) near any source of water proves commitment to all relationships.

Yeah, it's the lazy way out. But when I went to change out the faucets and vents on my galley sink, I encountered insurmountable barriers to sanity, and just polished them up and forgot about it. Maybe your cabinet has better access. Mine meant removing the sink, which was attached with inaccessible rusted bolts and caulk which no prybar could urge without Formica destruction.
Thanks. Christian (and all!) for the sponge advice. I guess that makes Andiamo! sponge-worthy? LOL. I'll let the Admiral/spouse pick out a "fancy" one. Maybe a natural sponge for Tarpon Springs...very Mediterranean-looking, and the boat's interior is being made "Amalfi Coast" by Laura. You guys are great!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
it is actually attached to the foot pump down below.
Ah so. I have seen larger Ericson's with both "spouts" on their countertops, like a 38 I have sailed on. Our boat was not built out with a foot pump, but it's a good idea. If our electric pump fails, I would need to swap in the spare one that I carry aboard. (Have never needed to do this... yet...)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh heavens no! That makes a statement about sea life, with artistic implications, and although it goes with the red-cap theme of satirical deprecation and life aquatic ethos, it is a terrible message to send, unless you are washing a Ferrari or cleaning an amphora.

I was thinking of utility, grace, simplicity and accession to the ordinary--a shrug, not the contents of Wile E. Coyote's shaving kit.

But of course, as we grudgingly say here, it's your boat.
shopping.jpeg

Oh heavens no! That makes a statement about sea life, with artistic implications, and although it goes with the red-cap theme of satirical deprecation and life aquatic ethos, it is a terrible message to send, unless you are washing a Ferrari or cleaning an amphora.

I was thinking of utility, grace, simplicity and accession to the ordinary--a shrug, not the contents of Wile E. Coyote's shaving kit.

But of course, as we grudgingly say here, it's your boat.
View attachment 50978
I sea what you did there! You've certainly made waves with that analysis...LOL!

Also, my wife is a painter (so she can actually use some of them), and she's been given carte blanche on the interior, while I focus on the sailing bits. AND...the four-pack she decided on was only $6. In the galley sink we have a Scrub Mommy (in orange) with a little holder thingie it came with in the 3-pack.

NOTE: Laura is doing the interior in the flavor of coastal (West Coast) Southern Italy, as a nod to my old home in Napoli and relatives there and further down the coast.

As I say...it's HER boat. ;)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I sea what you did there! You've certainly made waves with that analysis...LOL!

Also, my wife is a painter (so she can actually use some of them), and she's been given carte blanche on the interior, while I focus on the sailing bits. AND...the four-pack she decided on was only $6. In the galley sink we have a Scrub Mommy (in orange) with a little holder thingie it came with in the 3-pack.

NOTE: Laura is doing the interior in the flavor of coastal (West Coast) Southern Italy, as a nod to my old home in Napoli and relatives there and further down the coast.

As I say...it's HER boat. ;)
I love that " it's her boat", an acknowledgment that most of us wouldn't make about our significant First Mates/Admirals. :)
Frank

AK67

Member I
I have the same issue on the e28-2, but assume that when in the water the motion of the boat will clear most of it. I'm on the hard (still *grumble*), so just use a tissue or sponge. The water level in the sink in the posted pic looks a bit higher than the lip of the drain though.

Last edited:

AK67

Member I
Frank
The "faucet" also functions as a water fill overflow per my boat's manual. 2 reasons to be certain.

AK67

Member I

Trans-oceanic mariner, raconteur, bon vivant, boat tinkerer, and horse whisperer on "La Différence". Beatification must surely be in the cards

I have the same issue on the e28-2, but assume that when in the water the motion of the boat will clear most of it. I'm on the hard (still *grumble*), so just use a tissue or sponge. The water level in the sink in the posted pic looks a bit higher than the lip of the drain though.
Yup…it is by a few mm. I’ll post a photo of the solution (sea sponges) tomorrow.