• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ TAFG Structure

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Since I removed the glued down sole, I figured I would post some photos of the TAFG structure on a late model E30+. Not sure why they didn't gelcoat the hull section under the settee like all the other areas. Stingy! There is an interesting very slight channel leading directly aft from the compression post to a hole in the TAFG (the brown glue strip I couldn't remove in the photo). I figure it must be some kind of drainage under the sole in case some water gets in. The sole is only 1/4 inch plywood, with 1/2 plywood under that set into the grid compartments. I am going to create three removable sections to replace the old sole.

There are 7 keel bolts. One under the settee, two sets of two in the next two compartments forward, and two singles forward of that.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• TAFG Looking Forward.jpg
    TAFG Looking Forward.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 221
  • TAFG Under Settee.jpg
    TAFG Under Settee.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 184
  • TAFG Looking Aft.jpg
    TAFG Looking Aft.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very useful post. With a glued sole it takes a village to figure out what's under there.

There are many threads here about new soles. My 32-3 had a replacement sole that worked well and with perimeter screws didn't squeak. Two coats CPES on everything and then glossy varnish.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Theonious bilge C.jpg
    Theonious bilge C.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 414

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Bigd14,
Thanks for posting these pics!
You wondered why they didn't gelcoat under the settee, but on our 1984 E30+, there is no gelcoat anywhere on the inside hull under the TAFG. I have laminate panels inside the bottom of the lockers at both ends of the table which when removed show no gelcoat anywhere in there. Similar under the opening in the locker under the step into the v-berth and at the bow where the anchor drain exits. Also under the quarterberth except for the battery compartment.
Frank

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Multimaster

I should add that the Fein Multimaster with straight blade has once again proved its worth. We started out with chisels and prybars and after 15 minutes had only removed about a foot of material, and left the bottom layer of plyood and the glue firmly attached. Enter the Multimaster. Peeled the glue right off, and worked under the plywood enough to pry it easily. With periodic sharpening the blade has been perfect for the job. This task alone would have justified its purchase, but I have had it for years and it is the second most useful tool I own behind the impact drill driver. I used it to great effect to remove portlights to. There are lots of Multimaster knock offs now that Fein's patent expired, but I HIGHLY recommend one of these tools for any boat owner.

The overall job took about 5 person hours. I estimate that without the Multimaster this would be about a 12-16 hour job with scrapers and chisels.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You know Frank, upon further inspection, I think it is paint that very closely matches the gelcoat. This is the same paint that is on the repaired rudder shaft. And I have those silly panels as well.

Doug