E32-III blower

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'm a soon to be owner of a 32-III and during sea trials I noticed that there was a blower connected to the aft cowlings. Hoses ran to the engine compartment. Seems strange to me to have a blower on a diesel-powered boat. Any reason for this and are they really necessary?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
BO too?

And probably B.O. too during those trips when the crew refuses to shower for a few days. :)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
A Good Thing...

My old one was burned out - and I replaced it.

When the nipple running between the mixing elbow and exhaust manifold failed, I was glad it was there - and pumped out the resulting exhaust that remained after shutting down my engine.

It's good to be able to (on demand) evacuate the air in your engine compartment - gas or diesel... (my opinion).

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Blower Operation Rationale

Our '88 model had a factory exhaust blower. It was installed with the intake at the bottom of the engine compartment, as though it were a gas engine.
:confused:
There was a flex hose intake from one of the vents on the transom that sent all the way to the same place in the engine compartment that the (powered) exhaust hose was installed. The two ends were side by side!

After talking this over with the mechanic/instructor at our diesel engine class, I moved the exhaust hose to the top of the compartment, and reasonably near the alternator.
When the old blower died some years ago, a new Atwood "turbo" blower replaced it. The old flexible vent hose is not too expensive and was cracking/splitting... replaced all that as well.

Our mechanic explained that these small sailboat diesels are all somewhat "cooling challenged" by their tight fit and that they are designed to lose about 5% of their waste heat by direct radiation. Thus the need to keep the engine clean and not coated with a layer of "insulating" dirt and gunk, and, also to run the blower while you are using the engine. The later is more important on a hot day with high ambient temps, FWIW.

Since my engine has excellent access to fresh air from the lazerette where one of the cowel vents is located, I got rid of the vent hose run that was, in theory, an Intake.

We have always had a very small pan gasket seap where I cannot get at the flange bolts, and some attendant oily smell when motoring. Running the blower also reduces this to where it is almost unnoticeable.

So, we run the blower to pull out any hot air from the top of the engine area.

Regards,
Loren
'88 Olson 34 with Universal 3-cylinder diesel

upinthenorth

Another possible source of fumes that the blower could dispel is leaky propane from the tanks that are almost in the same compartment as the engine.