E32 MkII "Never Ending Project" Old Alcohol Stove Replaced with Micro Wave Oven

kapnkd

kapnkd
The wife never did like using the old Galley Maid 3 burner stove and oven. Every time she "fired it up" - you could see the panic in her face!

It was seldom used other than for a stable gimbaled area to set things on when underway. The decision was reluctantly made to remove the old stove, alcohol container and replace it with a microwave oven. For us, most meals while underway don't require heat and the microwave is perfect for our needs.

We found a smaller unit that allowed me some creativity with the additional space left by the old stove. I created a storage bin below where we now keep a small 2 burner propane unit that sits nicely on the cutting block top. Just above the microwave is another storage drawer with adjustable partitions for silverware (or whatever). In back of the cutting board is a covered trash bin - something I always wanted so as not to keep using the sink as a catch-all. To the far left of the cutting board (forward) was just enough space to create a 3 bottle wine rack. I've placed a LED light in the bottom that creates a handy glow for finding bottles more easily.

Toughest part of the project for me was all the measuring and creating cabinet doors to match the original Ericson ones from this era of boats.

I must admit, the decision was a good one as the added conveniences, better use and gaining of additional storage area has me not missing that cool old stove.

CaryOn Galley.jpgCaryOn Stove Replacement1.jpg

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nicely done! How many wine bottles and are they stored vertically or horizontally?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Nicely done! How many wine bottles and are they stored vertically or horizontally?

Thanks! ...Given it only holds 3 and (as usual) with friends along, they are stored vertically with no need to worry about the corks drying out.:oops: