E34-2 Fuel Tank Size

Phr3d

Member II
How accurate is the gauge to guess for gallons on filling? How large should my tank be?

Sailboat data indicates 30 gallons.

Gauge showing almost 2/3 full was 8 gallons in San Diego.

Gauge showing something like 1/3 full was 12.8 gallons today.

Is it possible I have a 20 gallon tank?

Or is it really 30 and the gauge is crazy?

sdwnav

Couple of thoughts for you.

The boat’s heel and trim angles will affect what the gage is reading.

Gages are reading the liquid height. So if the bottom of the tank is shaped to the hull it isn’t going to have as much volume as the upper part of the tank. Think of the gage as reporting liquid height not volume; the relationship is not going to be linear if the tank has shape.

peaman

Sustaining Member
The stock gauges can only give a very rough idea of how full your tank is. Here is what you should do:

Empty the tank either by running at or nearly out of fuel, or else, get it low enough to pump the remains into a separate container, ideally one whose volume is known. Then, add fuel into the tank 2, or 3, or 5 gallons at time, and with each increment, make a mark on the tank or gauge, or make a note to show the correlation between actual volume and gauge reading. That way, you can better estimate how much fuel you actually have, in spite of the gauge's poor reporting.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since the boat is new you'll have to figure this out. Start with the listed 30g for your model.

As Steve said above, most of our tanks are shaped to fit the space, meaning wider top than bottom. Therefore, typical fuel gauges are only rough approximations, since there's more fuel in the top half than the bottom half.

I would remove the fuel gauge from the tank and sound it with a dowel through the open hole. That will at least give you a gross reading of half, one-third, etc.

The only way to confirm your actual tankage is to pump out the tank, then fill it full. But since the fuel burn is so low on our boats, most of us are content with a rough estimate. Sounding the tank once will relieve concern about no fuel in there at all.

It is useful to add your engine to the Signature line.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
How accurate is the gauge to guess for gallons on filling?

Probably not a direct (or maybe even useful) answer to your question, but... I don't trust gauges. I trust fuel logs.

When I got my boat I started keeping track of engine hours, and (later) the amount of fuel required to refill the tank.

What I learned over time is that my boat averages a little over 1/3-gallon per hour. And I know when my tank is as low as I've ever let it get, it took a little less than 17 gallons of fuel. In what is (theoretically) a 22-gallon tank.

How much fuel was still in the tank when I was down 17 gallons? Don't know, don't care. Maybe it was 5 gallons, maybe it was nothing but sludge and fumes. I try not to put myself in a position where I'll have to find out.

What I do know is that I can go about 48 hours (call it 300 miles) before I'm in the mystery zone. And by keeping track of engine hours between fill-ups, I know (with reasonable confidence) how much of that known-good 17 gallons I've got in the tank.

$.02

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, all you have to do is note the Hobbs meter when you add fuel. A Hobbs meter, or hour meter, is just a clock that runs only when the ignition is on.

Private pilots are taught never to trust fuel gauges, since running out of gas is ,uh, bad. All calculations are fuel burn.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our new tank was spec'd out with a new Wema analog electric gauge that I mounted at the main panel area. The sender was their standard top mount one for the tank and was installed by the fabricator.
Seems to work reliably. There is really just one big caveat , however. As others have noted, these devices do not tell the amount of fuel remaining. Only the level. You do have to learn to inerpret that information. Like most others, we understand that "1/4" on the gauge means less than that.
As noted by wise mariners, maintaining a little engine-hour time and amount-added log is still the best way to be sure.
Also, I did add a "Hobbs" meter when we did the repower, since the digital engine hour panel readout, in the cockpit, is difficult to see.

(And did indeed source that meter from a vendor rightly concerned with their customer's planes needing very accurate information... "Aircraft Spruce & Specialty".) Pictures in my engine swap blog.
I bought the DatCon mini, https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/datconhobbshrmeter_10-05542.php?clickkey=10669740

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I agree with the Hobbs method, I refill the tank on my 87 E34 every 15 hours and it usually takes 5 gal, so the 1/3 gal/hr seems accurate. I fill the tank to overflow and catch the overflow out the transom mounted vent in a bucket, but the after that, the gauge usually reads "full".

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
I created a CAD model of our E34 fuel tank to confirm how difficult it is to use a gas gauge. The tank has a notch in it and the fill hose and vent hose are connected to the back vertical wall of that notch. The volume of the tank with the notch is about 28 gallons. If the notch did not exist the volume would be 30 gallons.

Because of its shape, 15 gallons fills the tank up to the bottom of the notch. The top 2-1/2" of the tank that has the notch holds the other 13 gallons. In my boat, the fuel sender is mounted down in the notch, not on the top of the tank. The fuel sender float has a big upward bend in it so it can maybe reach the top of the tank when there is more than 15 gallons in the tank. It is vey inaccurate.

Diesel Tank.png

Phr3d

Member II
Gauge showing almost 2/3 full was 8 gallons in San Diego.

Gauge showing something like 1/3 full was 12.8 gallons today.
I apologize. Ya'll probably caught this, but while I was trying to type this question in a boat reeking of diesel in the cabin (the tank was definitely overfull, bubbling from around the gauge), I was confused, angry about stinking up my boat, and little bit high from snorting diesel fumes.

Those sentences were the results of filling the tank. I put in 8 gallons when the gauge showed around 2/3, and 12.8 gallons when it showed around 1/3.

The math makes me think its like 24? So the 27-28 makes sense.....

Now making sticky to get/keep an journal to monitor engine use.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
First you'd better pump out a few gallons and reseal the gauge against further leakage. You will probably need a new gasket, and I recommend some sealant too. If the tank is brimming, it will continue to leak through the gauge seat as the boat moves in the water.

And get the diesel out of the bilge.

Phr3d

Member II
It looks like the die
And get the diesel out of the bilge.
It looks like the slow filling of the tank (I was hanging over the lifelines trying to keep my core engaged, an eye on the vent and an ear on the tank gurgling) resulted in no spills. When I pulled up the aft cabin cushion to look at the gauge, I could see air was venting, but no liquid. I put one of those absorbent cloth things over the area. When I removed it, there was some pink residue, but not even enough to discard the cloth. There is no longer diesel smell inside the cabin.

I like the gasket idea. Is there one commercially available or do I make one?