E35-2 Leaks, leaks, leaks

adam

Member III
I've been going through and rebedding deck hardware. Those leaks are easy to find and fix.

But I also have a number of small mystery leaks, where water is appearing in the quarter berth, behind the wood planking in the main cabin, and in the closet.

Any suggestions for where the water might most likely be coming from, and where I should start with the rebedding?

1. Handrails

2. Hull deck joint

3. Portlights

4. Jib track

Also, a side question:

The handrails on this E35 don't have matching handrails on the interior. Anyone know how they're installed?

I assume they aren't just screwed into the balsa core, but maybe....

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our boat the rub rail was screwed into the hull from the outside. I found several screws had gone right through, and were leaking inside the boat. I put an inch diameter coating of Marine Tex over each one and have not had any problem since.
I hope you find your leaks and that they're as easy as these were.
Frank

adam

Member III
Frank, my previous boat, an E29, also had a leaky hull deck joint. So maybe that is a good next step.

Christian, these mystery leaks generally don't show up immediately. It takes a while for water to soak in and migrate, so I doubt a quick spray on the portlights would reveal anything.

Anyone have any idea how those handrails are mounted?

Last edited:

riptide

I think our E35-2 has a similar leak. Water drips down on the port side wall in the main cabin. There's also a sag in the headliner.
We are across the estuary from you. Interested to see what you find!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 251

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I guarantee everyone that if you hold a full strength hose on a portlight installation for 5 or 10 minuts you will see leaks, if there are leaks.

It's true that typical water intrusion is subtle, but a high-pressure stream directed on the installation is not--try it.

adam

Member III
I keep learning how atypical my E35 is. The cabin is very unusual with a dinette and engine behind the stairs. It doesn't have the "typical" handrail installation as described by the manual. It doesn't have the typical hull-deck joint either.

If I recall correctly my E29 had an outward flange of about 3/4" with the two halves pressed together.

This boat is very different with almost no outward flange (7/32") and a 1" wide strip of wood filling the gap. I can't actually tell where the two halves were. But it certainly seems like a source of leaks.

Is the rubrail even necessary with almost no outward flange? I'm considering getting rid of the it and replacing it with varnished wood.

adam

Member III
Christian, okay I'll try that after dealing with the hull deck joint.

riptide, are you around the dock often? I'd love to come over and look at your boat.

Photo showing joint...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 523

Zbingham

Member I
My 35 has chunks of 1/4" thick aluminum plate glassed into the inside of the cabin roof. The plates are drilled and tapped and machine screws hold the handrail to the plates. Not sure if that is original though. The outside hand rail is bolted through the cabin roof with fender washers on the inside. My boat has a fabric headliner.

My my guess is your hull deck joint if it's leaking inside the closet.

adam

Member III
Many, if not all, of the "mystery" leaks I'm finding seem to correspond exactly with screw holes in the hull deck joint...

paul culver

Member III
On my E29 the handrails are screwed into inserts inside the cabin top, except the forward and aft ends which are through bolted. Metal plugs on the inside cover the nuts to these bolts. I had to remove and rebed the handrails to stop leaks. It was not easy. I think I still have a post on this site describing the operation.

Paul
E29 "Bear"