E35-2 scupper drain plumbing

steven

Sustaining Member
I'm again looking at re-directing the cockpit scuppers to drain out the stern instead of through the bilge.

Looks like there is (just) enough fall for a hose from the scupper(s) to exit though bottom of the stern overhang above the water line - aft and above the rudder.

I posted a thread on this in Jul 2019 and had some good replies. No need to re-post.
https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/cockpit-drain-e35-2.16746/

Just wondering if anyone has done it or has further thoughts.

thanks

--Steve

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
Thanks. Thats encouraging. Did you do the work yourself or engage a yard?
I'm a bit nervous about drilling through the hull on my own.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks. Thats encouraging. Did you do the work yourself or engage a yard?
I'm a bit nervous about drilling through the hull on my own.
Yes, I did it myself. Take your time, measure six times, and make sure the hole saw size matches the thru hull closely. Practice on a piece of wood to make sure. I first drilled a pilot hole from the outside, then used a hole saw larger than the through-hull nut to cut the liner out from the inside using the pilot hole, then drilled the final hole through the hull from the outside to prevent tear out. I used Marelon through hulls, but didn't use backing blocks because of the liner. The hull was pretty solid in this area, but if doing it again I would put a backing block and a seacock on them. I could easily add a ball valve/seacock, but they are above the water line and have a low probability of getting damaged due to how far aft they are, so I haven't bothered.

I think it would be possible to do the work while in the water, but you would probably need to drill everything from the inside and you would definitely need a helper on a dinghy or dock or something, and hope that no waves happen during the critical time!