E35/3 Chart plotters at the helm?

debonAir

Member III
I got a Raymarine and mounted it in a swivel (double-ball-mount) enclosure. It is super handy to be able to turn the unit sideways when I am steering from the other side of the wheel. Also doubles as a dinner light.

Attachments

• gps.jpg
    gps.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 18

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I got a Raymarine and mounted it in a swivel (double-ball-mount) enclosure. It is super handy to be able to turn the unit sideways when I am steering from the other side of the wheel. Also doubles as a dinner light.
Nice! Do you have a brand or model number for the enclosure?

debonAir

Member III

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Samsung Galaxy Tab a8 Tablet - 10.5 Inch - 32GB - Grey - SM-X200NZAAXAC . This from my original order. remember NO SIM CARD NEEDED. I am not using it for texts or email or calling. You need enough memory for Navionics which is 150 MBs...When i am at home with it I can use all the usual youtube, music, etc etc. You can unpack it, take it home and sign in to WIFI and download Navionics which is almost free per year subscription and you have a better system than most overpriced chart plotters. Amazon has mine on for $200 CAD.
Thanks for this info @Rosco. Amazon (US) had this for $189, so I grabbed one and now have a dedicated Navionics plotter. Won't use it for anything else. That battery size was too good to pass up. Will save my iPad from running down quickly, since I use that for many things while onboard. Which detachable mount are you using?

ConchyDug

Member III
Thanks for this info @Rosco. Amazon (US) had this for $189, so I grabbed one and now have a dedicated Navionics plotter. Won't use it for anything else. That battery size was too good to pass up. Will save my iPad from running down quickly, since I use that for many things while onboard. Which detachable mount are you using?
Yeah I'd be interested too on what mount y'all find I've been looking for awhile. The generic tablet friction ball clamp mounts seem like the best option but usually have terrible reviews.
I did get a case for it though. It's not waterproof but it protects it against drops and it has multiple straps for hanging it on the binnacle or holding in one hand.

debonAir

Member III
I thought of going the tablet route but decided to go full MFD for the following

- Integration of auto-pilot, radar, compass.. its nice to have the radar display overlaid on the map and with the compass/gyro unit integrated as well the boat direction on the display updates quickly and I can really see what I am pointing at directly even in tight spots with limited visibility which is helpful.
- Brightness - the tablets aren't as great in direct sunlight
- Rain - Its not just the water-proofness. The MFD I have has both a touch screen and a joy-stick-knob input. When its raining the touch screen can get false hits from rain drops so I can turn it off and use the mechanical inputs. This gets used a lot more than I would have thought. Turns out the unit is watched a lot more closely in fog/drizzle.
- The MFD (Raymarine es78) uses Navionics maps so that's not a difference. I do still use the Navionics app on my phone to get flow info and test routes out.
- The MFD has WiFi so I can see/use it from below via tablet/phone, so its still "portable" in a sense.

I installed a water-proof usb charger thing over the motor gauge panel (protected by the laz lid a bit) so phone/tablet can be charging at the helm easily, That gets used more than I would have thought too.

gabosifat

Member III
Hi Steve,
I will be installing a B&G Vulcan 9 chart plotter on an E35/3 in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes. I'll also post pictures. Basically I made a wood base that clamps across the pedestal risers in front of the compass. The plotter bracket and plotter mount on top of the base. It looks like it will fit, but this was done far away from the boat a couple of months ago without exact dimensions. I'm working on the boat daily now and can tell you that, on this boat at least, the steering pedestal risers are 1" SS tubing 12.5" apart O.C.

Mark Rojec
E35/3 Luminosity
Port Henry, NY
Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering what other E35/3 owners have done to install a chart plotter at the helm? My son is a long way up the coast of BC, and our current (older) plotter has decided to quit. He's now navigating using paper charts and Navionics on a couple of iPhones. My wife and I will be flying up to take over the boat mid July, and I'd like to take a new plotter up to install when I get there. If anyone has done a recent install of a new chart plotter, can you provide model and perhaps photos of how you did it? Not having the boat hear makes selecting a plotter with the right dimensions, and planning an install somewhat problematic, and communication with my son on the boat is difficult to say the least at the moment.

Many thanks for any replies!
Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.
THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY QUERY RE-CHART PLOTTER PLACEMENT! SO MANY GREAT REPLIES AND IDEAS!!!
Because I will be installing in a remote area, it will have to be temporary, until the boat comes home. I plan to install on an old swing arm bracket that our supported our old plotter. The swing arm is mounted on the back side of bulkhead beside the companionway. This leaves the plotter inside, but swings out into the companionway to be seen from the cockpit. The system works very well with 2 people on the boat, but a bit more difficult for single handers as it isn't reachable from the helm. Will do for our 2 week trip up the coast until the boat returns home and a more appropriate solution can be worked out. See photos.
Again, thanks so much for all the great ideas!
Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Gabriola Island B.C.

Attachments

• 385874B2-9136-411C-A6A3-EBF3AD135DDC.jpeg
    385874B2-9136-411C-A6A3-EBF3AD135DDC.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2ACF7242-419F-4AF3-8F5A-35F38ED2B8B8.jpeg
    2ACF7242-419F-4AF3-8F5A-35F38ED2B8B8.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 16

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
The only instrument I would insist on having at the helm is the control head for the autopilot. I have delivered boats with autopilot control heads mounted low in the cockpit and it is a PITA. I actually think it could be dangerous.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Crew engagement is one of the main reasons I was thinking of going this route. Good to hear it's working well for you.
Also, it's often Donna and I sailing alone and she's driving 60% of the time while I jump around on deck. The bulkhead displays salve my control freak side by having access to some of the data. She's an experienced sailor and great driver so when double-handing it's mostly therapeutic for me.

TKBLACK

Member II
@gabosifat - Steve,
You might also find these links helpful.

- https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/navpod-instrument-enclosure-and-pedestal-guard.765/
- https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/low-cost-instrument-pod-alternatives.182186/

@TKBLACK Karin, I hope you and Tom don't mind me reposting your image (or that I cropped it), but your creative use of SS pipe fittings helped me think outside the box.
View attachment 47388
No problem. This website is GRAND for helping others. Glad you found this picture useful. Permission granted!
TKBLACK, prior owners of ACHATES a 1993 Pacific Seacraft Ericson 34-2.