e38 - Running backstay and innner forstay deck locations

gregdettmer

Member I
Does anyone have experience with installing running backstays and inner forestays on an e38? I am curious about where the inner forestay deck attachement point is?

Regards
Greg Dettmer
s/v Spirit Soul
1981 e38

Seth

Sustaining Partner
The runners should attach to sliding padeyes on the outboard genoa track. Set them as far aft as you can and lead them to the secondary winches if installed, or to the primaries if not. You can use a rope clutch on the deck so the winch can be freed up once they are loaded. I would go with a 2:1 purchase on the padeye and then forward. Some folks use a purchase without leading it to a winch, but you really need at least 6:1 for this to work, and that is a bit complex to have hanging in the breeze. I see people go with 4:1, or even 3:1, but I don't think you are accomplishing much. Be sure the tail is long enough that you can lead the runners forward to the chainplates when not using them (a little bungy cord will hold them there).

The inner forestay should be tied down to the bulkhead under the V berth. Bolt a chainplate vertically to the bulkhead and the forestay tie rod/cable will come from the bottom of the inner forestay deck plate to this point. Some of our 38 have this rig, and I am sure they can send pics. My point here is to be sure you realize the load will have to be transferred to a bulkhead somehow.

Cheers