• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 sugar scoop-ish?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Idle speculation: I saw this Ericson 38 in a local marina and wondered if this style of transom was a factory option or a later modification. Do any of you know?

E38 sugar scoop 02.jpg

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Probably a Pacific Seacraft model from the 1990’s Others will know more but from what I know from this website is that PS bought some of the molds from Ericson and produced them for a few years with updates like the stern you see there.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not the first year or two of production for PSC, either. They changed the mold by about 1992 or so, and built them until circa 1997.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Thanks guys. On the cove stripe, aft, it says Ericson 38 and has the helmet logo. But who knows when that was put on. More idle curiosity: Did PSC keep the Ericson brand?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I've only seen this sugar scoop type E-38 once, in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay many years ago, at too close of a distance. The captain of the E-38 almost T boned my E32 while I was under sail and he was under power! After a hard turn to starboard, to avoid a collision, that threw the sails to port because I was on a run, I went to the port side to yell at the jerk. It was then that I saw the Ericson logo on the hull, recognizing the boat as a E-38 and saw the sugar scoop stern as he passed me with less then a boat length to spare. I was angry and impressed at the same time. Came to find out that it was one of the last Ericson produced by Pacific Seacraft and if one comes up for sale I think I'll need to consider it.