E381 HydroVane Install

Angel D.

Hello Friends !
I have questions to share with you all , perhaps shere your experience in the matter. Looking for opinions on this install. First i would like to thank any insight on the matter , all comments will be apriciated.

At HydroVane site this is the example of an install on E38 ...

HV_E38.jpg

Now , is close to the water and i would like to bring it up... have any owner done this , the lower bracket at the stern???

Here is an example of what I mean by that .

20241019_155117.jpg20241019_160227.jpg20241019_155950.jpg
Consider that super moon have me touching bottom and water is about 4in lower than it should be . Anyways i feel is way above and also this last picture backet is crooked due to a wake . Bracket is hanging of a line for dry fitting at this point.

Also the 3/8in bolt would sit 3-1/2in from the edge of the back stay plate . Wish is perhaps not such a big compromise I think , if im wrong please comment .

20241019_162702.jpg

I hope to find some E38 owners that have installed this kind of gear here, and also others that can shere some insight on this project. As soon i have a chance I'll turn the boat Aft to the docks and get a better view for dry fitting steps and pictures, will be sharing soon. All comments are much appreciated and thanks in advance !

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think either option for the lower mount is fine, if both conform to Hydrovane install instructions.

The E38 transom almost never touches the water while sailing. The lower option might touch water when motoring, but only at hull speed when the stern squats.

Here's a clip of video of the E38 at seven knots showing typical transom water clearance:

Angel D.

I think either option for the lower mount is fine, if both conform to Hydrovane install instructions.

The E38 transom almost never touches the water while sailing. The lower option might touch water when motoring, but only at hull speed when the stern squats.

Here's a clip of video of the E38 at seven knots showing typical transom water clearance:

Thank you Mr. Williams , I apriciate your help... seems like I did not need to worry about the clearence or the holes .Will do a few dry fittings for the Vane before start drilling holes on the stern. Also study the details of install all over. On my previus boat was the same deal. Like docking, Slow is pro ! Thanks Again .

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Here are some pics of ours. We have a three bracket mount, but that shouldnt make a big difference on the height above the water for the lower bracket. We spread the three brackets out as much as possible for strength. The lower bracket gets in the water when we are motoring and the stern is squatting, but I don’t see a problem with it.

IMG_3945.jpegIMG_3947.jpeg

Angel D.

Excellent, that's basically the profile I'm looking for. I don't have the top two leg bracket , but this is the idea. Thank you for sharing the pictures ,it Shure help visually.