Electric Bike

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
bike 2022.jpg

I had my doubts. They're gone.

This is the Aventon "Aventure," one of a new generation of cheap ebikes. It goes 45 miles on a charge, and climbs hills without strain. It has hydraulic disk brakes, which are a far cry from the usual. Fat tires, which give a hefty and stable feel. Spring front fork, which absorbs going off curbs and such.

I added a wide seat and spring seat post, since it has no rear suspension.

I live above the beach on a route that rises 400 feet in one mile. Bike climbs it with ease. For years I handled that climb with a Rans recumbent, until back problems returned to knocked me off the schedule.

Rans on beach.jpg

It was a good workout but now a bridge too far. This bike accomplishes the same goal with no effort at all.

As I was the last to know, these things are pedal-assist. That is, the motor operates whenever the pedals are spun. There are five "speeds," in which the assist varies from minimal to max. They also usually have a derailleur and maybe 8 typical bike gears to assist in climbing. (I leave it on high gear all the time). They also have a hand throttle, in case you don'y want to pedal at all.

This Aventon model comes as Class II, limited 20 mph. It can be changed by the owner to Class III, allowing top motor speed of 28 or so. So far, after 150 miles, I don't need that to keep up with bike path and side streets traffic.

Cost? $1995 list, which is what a decent bicycle costs--and a new Rans is more. Remarkable how cheap electric power can be, even at this early stage of battery development.

Typical video review here.

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Back in the late 60’s, when I was still in high school, a neighborhood kid put a car battery on an old bike and connected it to a car starter motor that was linked to the rear sprocket. He use a big old time electric door bell button to turn it on and off as he he zipped back and forth to his summer job and the neighbors, including my dad, thought that he was a bit crazy although I think he admired his resourcefulness. That kid‘s electric bike was crude by todays standards but he was so far ahead of his time with his home built machine. I use own motorcycles, both street and dirt, and I’d buy an electric bike if I had someplace to go and my local streets were safe to use it on.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Back in the late 60’s, when I was still in high school, a neighborhood kid put a car battery on an old bike and connected it to a car starter motor that was linked to the rear sprocket. He use a big old time electric door bell button to turn it on and off as he he zipped back and forth to his summer job....

Likely, his name was Prelon Musk.