Engine light came on...

JPS27

Member III
2qm15. Has always run like a champ.

On Friday I started out on a weekend adventure to Moback Bay. Spent hours prepping the boat, bringing all the stored stuff back to the boat. Headed off Friday morning. The wind was steady and strong and on the nose on the way to the bay from Hampton. I was motoring at 2200 to 2400 rpms going between 4.7-5.5 knots. There was all kinds of Navy and bridge tunnel expansion activity. So I was motoring for about 50 minutes, which I rarely do. My temp gun showed the usual places I check were within a couple of degrees of normal for my engine. (and I take temps after I sail which is never pushing the engine). The manifold was about 10 degrees higher than normal right after the alarm went off and I shut things down. 134, when it's usually high teens to 120 something. Non of this seems out of the ordinary.

Water flow out the back seemed normal. No smoke, a little vapor as usual. Water temp was slightly warm to the touch. Nothing in the strainer. Dejectedly, I headed back given the conditions. I sailed to about .2 mile to my slip and motored back in. No alarms.

Boat yard suggested I try some barnacle buster, which I did. Nothing visible came out. What might be next steps to check? The sensor is fairly new and looked solid, no corrosion etc.

Thanks!
Jay

JPS27

Member III
Somehow I missed the problem/concern here. Overheating issue?

Sorry about that. I have oil, water, and battery lights on my panel. It was the water light that went off with the alarm.

JPS27

Member III
part 7 is what I have. manifold. Is that the same as a heat exchanger. Making clear my scant knowledge on this subject.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 1.54.27 PM.png

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Along with the heat exchanger, remove and inspect part #30, the water injection "elbow". This is where sea water from the heat exchanger enters the hot exhaust. The hot exhaust causes the salts in the water to solidify and the internal passage gets blocked, reducing the flow of cooling water through the heat exchanger.

Here was mine in 2017:

21708-7f8e8c5d0ce792f81cc309476f0cfc64.jpg

sailing42

Member II
I would remove the thermostat and check it first, make sure it opens completely . Not sure how many hours you have on the engine but the exhaust elbow item# 28 ( referring to your parts drawing) on the Yanmar engine are prone to get plugged up badly. These engines have a problem where the hot exhaust gasses meet the seawater resulting in a very corrosive mixture which tends to build up. I would check the elbow that Kenneth mentioned and if its plugged up then you may also need to remove the exhaust elbow to inspect it/clean it. Be prepared for a struggle. The elbow (which your hose connects to) #28 is connected with a threaded joint #32 to the elbow #35 on the heat exchanger. this threaded joint has both a left hand thread on one side and a right hand thread on the other. Best bet is to soak it in penetrating oil for a couple of days (cloth soaked in penetrating oil and then wrapped around the part) then apply heat with a propane torch and loosen it. if you Google the Yanmar mixing elbow you will find a good picture on cruisers forum that has a cutaway of the actual elbow showing you the internal structure.