Ericson 25 Portlights

jrclark32

Member I
Hello,

I am a relatively new owner of a 74 Ericson 25, and she has the typical problem of leaky portlights. I've read quite a bit about replacement options, but I think I'll save that project to do when I remove everything to paint the deck (hopefully in the fall).

In the meantime, is there a temporary fix to get me through this season? I know that silicon is a big no-no on fiberglass... Would another sealant be safe & effective?

Thanks!

-John

Last edited:

CHtahoe

E 25 portlights

Hello,

I am a relatively new owner of a 74 Ericson 25, and she has the typical problem of leaky portlights. I've read quite a bit about replacement options, but I think I'll save that project to do when I remove everything to paint the deck (hopefully in the fall).

In the meantime, is there a temporary fix to get me through this season? I know that silicon is a big no-no on fiberglass... Would another sealant be safe & effective?

Thanks!

-John

Hi John;
I purchased a 79 Ericson 25+ last year and had to deal with leaking portlights as well. The PO had tried silicone and clear sailtape, both to no avail. Having done this repair on a previous boats, I can with confidence recommend that you do the job the right way and not use silicone. Buy the correct foam tape by Taco (I used 5/8), remove the screws from the retainer inside the cabin, push out the window frame, CLEAN THROUGHLY, apply foam tape to window flange, insert window frame, attach retainer but don't over tighten the screws, and viola, you are done and it is just like when it left the Ericson factory! Best part is no more leaks and this method allows expansion and contraction with weather changes.
Cheers. CH

senecadaze

Member I
temporary fix

temporary fix in a can...
I have tried it and it is amazing 2-3 coats and is flexible.
I picked my cans up at target

Attachments

• 14737206_201308210909.jpg
    14737206_201308210909.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 127

jrclark32

Member I
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely try the "Taco Tape." I do have a question though.. Only one of my portlights has screws on the inside. How do the others come apart? Also, what's the best way to clean off all the caulk, silicone, etc that the PO has smeared all over everything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 103