Ericson 26 or 27?

GaryM

Hello Ericson Sailors.

I am in the process of purchasing my first sail boat, though I have been an avid sailor for over 20 years. I sail in Lake Michigan with my wife, and boys, 8 and 11. After doing my research, I am most impressed with the beam on the Ericsons for added room to the cabin. I hear very good things about the 26...including the sailing ability of the boat, comfort, performance. The 26 I am looking at is an 85. Seems to be in very good shape. I am also looking a 27. The 27 is an amazing condition. Kept well above its means by loving owners. The year is 1975. I have read good things, but also some things that present major concerns for me....like the pull on the tiller when under power, and lack of control of the boat, and work put into sailing it. I also hear about that Atomic engine. The engine on this one is the small Edlebrook(or something close to that ;) ) So I dont think the engine is a big issue. But I would like any feedback I can get regarding these boats from owners like yourselves. If you can list any pros or cons that would be just great...and would assist me in my purchase between these two boats. I know I have to consider how these boats check out with a surveyor, but for now I just want to know about the boats in general. Thanks everybody for your help.

HGSail

Member III
Gary,

My E29 has the same pull on the tiller that you decribed. This is caused by the offset of the prop. It's not really a problem other than you have to pay attention to were you are going at all times or you will go off course really fast. I personaly took care of this problem with an Autohelm. As far as under sail there is'nt any problems. The 27 is an extremly well built boat and can handle all sorts of weather and I wouldn't have any problem taking my family out on one.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Fencer21

Member II
I have a 1974 E27, it's in good shape and it wasn't too bad when I bought it. Basically everything I did was an upgrade.

It's a real good boat but then again it's my first sail boat ever therefore I wouldn't know how to compare it to anything thing else.

Pick the 27' I don't think you'll regret it.

Don Smith

Member II
I've owned a '85 E26 for over ten years. When shopping I looked at several E27's and stumbled upon the E26 by accident.

The main disadvantage of the E27 is that it's much heavier, with more wetted surface, yet has about the same waterline length as an E26. So, it's considerably slower in light air.

As for the Atomic 4 verses a diesel, I much prefer the diesel because of lower fuel consumption and they are simpler, safer and usually more reliable than a gasoline engine. Your insurance rate will be lower with a diesel. Nevertheless, I've known many people who've sailed with Atomic 4's for many years and are satisfied with them and seem to have no problem getting parts.

It seems to me that there are two advantages to the E27. They're usually cheaper to buy and Ericson seems to have sold a lot more E27's than E26's. It's fun to look at boats like yours and see what changes their owners have made. Out here on the West Coast, I see lots of E27's, but few E26's.

I recommend that you compare the specs for these two boats. They're on this website.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my E26. My major gripe is that it was ostensibly designed to, "sleep six", which technically I guess it does, but so does an old VW Van. I'd prefer that it had been set up to sleep 2 adults and a couple of small kids, with more space for storage.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have sailed both the 26 and the 27.

I have sailed both the 26 and the 27. My brother in law owned the 26 and I own a 27. My brother in law was in a light air race and came in last way behind the pack. I am not sure but as I recall the 26 has a wider beam. It is true that the 27 is a heavy boat for it's size but I like the fact that as a result of that, it can handle a lot of wind. My personal record speed on my 27 was 7.9 knots. That was in 25 knot winds on a broad reach with a 140 genny and no reefs. One thing that my brother in law found as a problem was the small steps leading down from the companion way. His wife, my Sister took a bad fall because the steps were so small and steep. Actually my brother in law had his 26 before I got my 27. After I sailed his 26 I decided I wanted a Ericson. It is true that over 1300 27s were built earlier then the 26s and that's probably why the 26s are pricier. I checked yachtworld.com this week and I found about 6 E27s with diesels, so if you want a 27 with diesel, they are out there.

Just my 2 cents. I think both are great boats but I am extremely happy with my 27.

Last edited:

GaryM

A great many thanks to everyone who has replied....but please keep the responses coming! The more the merrier! I might be purchasing this weekend!

bigtyme805

Member III
Hey Gary sorry I did not get to this post earlier, did you purchase a boat yet? If you have not I have a website that describes my boat and some of things that I went through and some of my travels. I grew up on Lake Michigan, Michigan City to be exact and sailed there as well as water skied until I was 22. I now sail on the pacific ocean in southern california. The 27 has been a good boat for me and I am very happy. Many times I have thought about going to a bigger boat but again I did not. I have looked at many E-26 and E-27's and the big difference is the weight and the diesel. Jeff mentioned that you can find E-27 with diesels but they are hard to find in your area. Most of them came with an atomic 4. In California Ericsons are many but in your area not nearly as many.

Here is my website www.ericson27.org