Ericson 27 zincs

Nmeyersailor

Hey knowledgeable forum members, I am planning a haul out and bottom paint job on my E27 this fall. My boat is from 1976 and has a Yanmar SVE-12 diesel inboard. Does anyone have a similar boat and know what size and style anodes I should buy to replace the existing ones? Just looking to save a couple bucks on yard fees and ferry tickets as I can't get these items from any place locally. Thanks in advance...
Nick Meyer
Ilex
E-27
ERY27902M76H
Vashon, WA

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I used to keep two zincs on the prop shaft right against the prop and that worked fine for years on my '77 E27. Would replace the most corroded one every year. The original A4 had a 3/4" shaft but I went with a 1" shaft when I repowered with a diesel many years ago. You'll need to know your shaft size. It could be either.

Then one year I noticed my that the cutlass bearing strut was turning pink and pitting one year (I dive so changed all my zincs in the water). Someone had moved into the marina with a current leak somewhere and so the corrosion went up dramatically all of a sudden. So I drilled small hole through the strut and put a small pancake zinc directly on the strut itself. That solved the problem.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
If your really worried about extra trips to the yard I would say buy a pair of 3/4" and a pair of 1" shaft zinks and install which ever two fit. Also I would recommend installing a small hose clamp in front of the forward shaft zink because I once had one loosen and oddly slide forward up the shaft and rub against the hull as it rotated for a month until I discovered it at haul out. Don't be afraid to use loctite and crank those little screws down really tight.
I can also second the idea of installing shaft strut zink. Below are links to my blog entrys on the subject.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?391-shaft-strut-zink

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?389-Shaft-Strut-De-Zinkification