Ericson 28

CatCon101

I have two questions:

1. What's the difference between an Ericson 28 and an Ericson 28+?

2. I own a 1985 Ericson 28 (I don't think its a 28+). The automatic bilge pump won't operate on shore power unless the batteries are left on. Is this normal? I don't like leaving the boat unattended with the automatic biklge pump turned off.

Thanks / Joe

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
CatCon101 said:
2. I own a 1985 Ericson 28 (I don't think its a 28+). The automatic bilge pump won't operate on shore power unless the batteries are left on. Is this normal?
yes and no.

It's normal that the bilge pump does not run off shore power. Your bilge pump is a 12V device, and shore power is a different beast so they are not connected.

However, many boats are wired with absolutely everything on board fed from the main battery disconnect switch, and then through the breaker panel - EXCEPT the bilge pump circuit. That single circuit is often run directly from the battery terminals, or from the hot side of the battery switch, to the pump. There should be an appropriately-sized inline fuse as close as possible to the positive connection of pump circuit. That way the pump will always be energized, and the wiring will still be fuse-protected.

The danger with a boat at mooring is that the batteries can run down, but this will really only happen if your boat is sinking, and in that case, the charge-condition of your battery bank will not be your first concern.

Nate

Last edited:

rssailor

Bilge pump

Well the bilge pump should be 12 Volts. Like Nate said it also should be wired "hot" or directly to the battery somehow. If your batteries won't run the bilge pump when the charger is off, then there is something wrong in your wiring.

On your second question, the 28+ was more beamy and lacked the TFG is the short answer to your question. Seth could answer this question in much more detail. Ryan

NGB

Member II
I have an E28 and my slip neighbor a couple of years ago had a 28+. He said the main difference is 6 inches in length.

Dan Hayes

Member III
28+

There are several posts regarding the difference between a 28 and a 28+, if you do a search you'll find some good info. The 28+ is essentially a 30+ with two feet cut off, and the 28, which came later, was slightly re-designed. The beam on the 28+ is 10 feet 6 inches, and the 28 is 10 feet; and the 28+ length is 28'6", vs. 28 feet.

They're very similar after that; earlier models had the all wood flooring and cabin vs. a fibreglass sole on the 28; and many of the 28's have a single aft berth and a pull out double in the saloon vs. a double aft berth on the earlier 28+.

Theyr'e great boats either way, with more features and room than anything in that length range.