• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 Boom vang, Cunningham, and boom height

Michael Paul

Member I
On my, new to me, Ericson 35-2 there is no boom vang and no adjustable cunningham. I have a new mainsheet and block system on order (gross trim, fine trim), which I plan to replace the old with and use as my boom vang (4:1). I'm wondering why the boom isn't able to lock at a specific height. There is evidence it once did as the track has holes for a pin to seat in and there's a mysteriously empty square on the gooseneck. If I were to buy block systems for a boom vang or cunningham what is the proper ratio for this size boat? Is 4:1 enough?

Attachments

• 20220724_173402.jpg
    20220724_173402.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220724_173133.jpg
    20220724_173133.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220724_173138.jpg
    20220724_173138.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220724_173147.jpg
    20220724_173147.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 37

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There was a long production run for that model, so there were probably changes both from the factory and also owner changes, this far down the road.
What Year is your boat?

steven

Sustaining Member
I have a 4:1 vang. I do not use it for adjustments underway - just keep it set so the boom perpendicular to the mast.

I have pinned my boom at the mast. It was once was set to slide.
I find it easier to use a cunningham on the sail, or the main halyard, to get proper luff tension.

Note: I'm a lazy cruiser.

--Steve

steven

Sustaining Member
simple arrangement. A bolt into the mast track to prevent falling; and a shackle to catch the bolt to prevent rising.
Guessing done by a former owner, not factory.

Attachments

• E35-2 gooseneck downhaul.jpg
    E35-2 gooseneck downhaul.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't see horns for the reefing dogbones. Perhaps the horns were removed from the gooseneck.

I'd also pin the gooseneck in place, I don't see a disadvantage. Locate the pin point such that you can tighten the luff hard using the halyard.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
That's a typical sliding boom from the period. When racing, the sail was hoisted until the tack was opposite the black stripe on the mast. This becomes problematic and even dangerous when trying to reef as the inboard end of the boom can crash down the second you release the halyard. It's recommended that you fix it in place.

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
Thanks @Martin King. They look like Kenyon boom ends which can be found at Rig Rite.
I've been casually trying to ID my 35-2, built near the end of the run. The boom section is smaller than what Rig Rite lists for my boat (5 instead 6 inches tall), and I'll be darned if I can find a matching end.
Look familiar? I took the pics for a different purpose, but hopefully there's a clue in there.

Edit: if I had to guess, this is the same boom that came with a 32. Kenyon 3550. Still no luck with the end fitting.

Attachments

• 20221231_133947.jpg
    20221231_133947.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221231_133926.jpg
    20221231_133926.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210721_162014.jpg
    20210721_162014.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks @Martin King. They look like Kenyon boom ends which can be found at Rig Rite.
I've been casually trying to ID my 35-2, built near the end of the run. The boom section is smaller than what Rig Rite lists for my boat (5 instead 6 inches tall), and I'll be darned if I can find a matching end.
Look familiar? I took the pics for a different purpose, but hopefully there's a clue in there.

Edit: if I had to guess, this is the same boom that came with a 32. Kenyon 3550. Still no luck with the end fitting.
Since your boom gooseneck is different you might want to move this question to a new thread. Meantime you might want to take the existing parts (and pieces) to a small 'job shop' that does ss fabrication. Nothing to lose by asking, anyway,

steven

Sustaining Member
@Michael Paul , @steven what years are your 35-2s? My 79 doesn't have sliding gooseneck

My E35-2 is 1976. The track is probably original because it is painted same as the spa rand I doubt if there was a re-paint.

- - - - - - - - -- -
<< can someone tell me how to get the ___ said: into the grey header area ? >>

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
@Michael Paul , @steven what years are your 35-2s? My 79 doesn't have sliding gooseneck

My E35-2 is 1976. The track is probably original because it is painted same as the spa rand I doubt if there was a re-paint.

- - - - - - - - -- -
<< can someone tell me how to get the ___ said: into the grey header area ? >>
If I understand your question, it's by clicking 'reply'
Also, you can edit it to show that you're replying yo a specific part of their post.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Michael, Since no one has mentioned it so far, the standard boom height is usually marked on your mast with the black line. However, your main sail luff might have been cut longer to accommodate your current boom height. You can check this by raising your main and seeing if it goes to the top of the mast or is a bit lower.

kapnkd

kapnkd
On my, new to me, Ericson 35-2 there is no boom vang and no adjustable cunningham. I have a new mainsheet and block system on order (gross trim, fine trim), which I plan to replace the old with and use as my boom vang (4:1). I'm wondering why the boom isn't able to lock at a specific height. There is evidence it once did as the track has holes for a pin to seat in and there's a mysteriously empty square on the gooseneck. If I were to buy block systems for a boom vang or cunningham what is the proper ratio for this size boat? Is 4:1 enough?
Not sure about the ratios and all but as a boom stop solution, you may want to consider this. It slides independently from the gooseneck but locks in place on the same track holding the gooseneck in place
FD962AB1-3FFE-45CC-8F40-6C54F21A4536.jpeg