• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson OEM factory interior wood finish treatment?

Pete the Cat

Member III
On my Tartan 37 that I have owned for 30 years, the factory oiled the teak, as was common in production boats at the time. I continued this and an deeply regret it now. I used Tung oil, various brands of teak oils and Watco (recommended by Tartan at the time) over the years and am sorry I ever applied any of them. As is mentioned by others, the oils trap moisture and eventually produce mold embedded in the goo of teak oil residue. This stuff is nearly impossible to remove by any method I have use so far other than strippers, scraping, and 3M pads that goo up rather quickly. I desperately wish I had stripped the oil when I first got the boat. I am working to remove the oil goo and mold, brighten the teak and move to varnish---but confident I will not live long enough to complete the job. I hate oil on teak. I understand it is cheap, easy and looks good for short periods, but warn folks of the long term problems. My boat is dry and has had a forced air diesel heater in it--I cannot imagine what would have happened to a more normally moisture laden vessel's interior. Below deck wood looks dark and ugly. I recommend against oil in any form on boats.

I was pleased that Ericson had apparently varnished the interior of my 32-200 from the factory and the PO had done nothing to it. I have refinished all the interior in the same manner as Christian with a couple coats of thinned gloss for a base to seal it (I prefer Flagship) and a couple of final coats with Epiphanes Rubbed effect. It is beautiful and wears like iron.

LeifThor

Member III
Thanks for your warning about oils on interior wood. What year is your Ericson as I’m trying to figure out if it was oiled or varnished.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 8

Pete the Cat

Member III
Thanks for your warning about oils on interior wood. What year is your Ericson as I’m trying to figure out if it was oiled or varnished.
Mine is a late 1989 32-200. I think someone on this list said that Ericson gave options at that time for interior wood finish--so it might have been an option--I am the third owner. Mine had been nicely, but very lightly varnished. This did a great job of preventing mold until I bought it and refinished it. I redid the floor with about five coats of gloss with a final of satin. I have a gloss sole on my Tartan 37. Both wear well and seem to be very usable when sailing. Just a matter of esthetics, I think. I used Petit Satin on the walls and furniture and Epiphanes Rubbed effect on the floor. Both are great products. It think Flagship gloss is better at self leveling and goes on easier than Epiphanes Gloss. But the charter boats in the Caribbean all seem to prefer Epiphanes for lasting in the sun. FWIW.