FAMET Reefurl

Tom Russ

I have obtained for the effort of removing it a reefing/furling system. The manufacturer's name on the drum is "FAMET Reefurl". All of the pieces are in good shape, sound with no corrosion or apparent stress/cracks, etc. It was working before I removed it (owner recently acquired the boat wants to upgrade to newer equipment). I cleaned up and checked all of the parts and have been getting ready to install it on my E27. I have tried to contact the manufacturer but they seem to out of business. This is a system comprised of an aluminum "foil" (made up of two halves in three foot sections) that has channel that accept the sail and halyard. The foil is installed around the fore stay.
There is nothing between the foil and the forestay. No bushing or protective sleeve. This strikes me as a problem (and maybe why these aren't seen anymore) since as the foil turns around the forestaty rolling and unrolling the sail it will wear on the forestay. Seems like a problem. Any thoughts?
I am thinking about using 1/2" OD nylon or PVC tubing along the length of the forestay.

I would appreciate any ideas, feedback and solutions.

Tom Russ
Ol' Blue
E27 #428

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If a piece of gear is in good shape, works as designed and will serve your needs then why not use it? Parts availability may be an issue in the future but if you get a season or more out of this unit I'd say go for it. I would locktite any fasteners in the foil. You don't want them coming loose. Regarding the foil riding on the forestay directly I don't like that either. I would look into the possibility of adding plastic bushings as you have suggested. A loose fitting teflon or UHMW sleeve would work best. Another possibility would be PEX tubing used in plumbing. Commonly available and very tough. RT