Fire extinguisher and flare life

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
In a sailboat, the whole idea of 'overdue' seems less useful. And asking somebody to decide when you're overdue seems quite a burden on them.

I mostly agree... especially as the boat is always sending real-time position through one path (Garmin InReach), and I have a separate way to send *my* position in real-time through a different path (PLB on the inflatable PFD I'm wearing anytime I leave the breakwater).

But I'd offer two thought-vectors.

1) people at home sometimes feel... disconnected? powerless?... if I'm gone for days at a time. Yeah, someone can look up my track and see where I am, but that is a blip on a screen, not a set of "everything is OK" info. Dearth of info leads to worry, and it seems to be a small leap from "I don't know how things are going" to "oh my gosh, what do I DO if there is a problem???". Just leaving behind info about where I'm supposed to be and when I expect to be there - plus lots of ways to find me - somehow helps lower the domestic stress level.

2) If the worst happens (not sure of a scenario that would wipe out ALL the electronic paths, but let's play what-if) it's nice to know that if someone has to search for me, they at least know what to look for and an idea of where to start.

It's a small investment of time, probably nugatory, but... somehow still has at least some perceived value.

Bruce

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
As much for the family as me, I have a Garmin Inreach mini on a velcro strap that moves between the shoulder strap of my PFD and top jacket pocket of the motorcycle jacket. Fantastic device. Even when there is no cell service, I can pick a message such as "Good morning" "Good night" "All is well" or "Am OK but could you call a tow for me?" If things got really ugly it of course also has the SAR-SAT HELP button.

The cool thing is that it'll also link to my phone for the big display.
52719320_519304311927962_4231150737554120608_n.jpg

Last edited: