• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First LNG Fueled ship (car carrier)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have observed this vessel unloading new vehicles, at the usual Port of Portland wharf area on the Willamette River.
It left again yesterday, and I have seen it here once before, here.

I wondered about the big letters identifying it as LNG Fueled, so did a quick 'net search.
Kind of Interesting.

Current location:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: That is really interesting...nothing on the posting for the Sakura Leader indicating that it is LNG fueled that I can see. I wonder if its the first vessel of its type fueled LNG. Where did you see the letters LNG..did you take a cell phone photo?
We have observed this vessel unloading new vehicles, at the usual Port of Portland wharf area on the Willamette River.
It left again yesterday, and I have seen it here once before, here.

I wondered about the big letters identifying it as LNG Fueled, so did a quick 'net search.
Kind of Interesting.

Current location:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Where did you see the letters LNG..did you take a cell phone photo?
On the after quarter, port side. We were driving in some traffic so no quick way to take a picture. Anyhow, the company announcement confirms the type of fuel. It certainly is a rather rare sighting, so far.
I left out this link. Oops.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Loren: That is really interesting...nothing on the posting for the Sakura Leader indicating that it is LNG fueled that I can see. I wonder if its the first vessel of its type fueled LNG. Where did you see the letters LNG..did you take a cell phone photo?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Japan leads the carriers worldwide in the abundant cheap natural gas fueled heavy overseas carriers!! Great news and a great start for the world!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Los Angeles County busses, all 2200 of them, are now powered by CNG. It is a remarkable change --quieter (dunno why), and the exhaust stack emits only heat waves. Cleaner than diesel.

CNG vs. LNG? I didn't know the difference:

Compressed natural gas is often confused with LNG (liquefied natural gas). Both are stored forms of natural gas. The main difference is that CNG is stored at ambient temperature and high pressure, while LNG is stored at low temperature and nearly ambient pressure.

LNG takes up less storage space on a vehicle than CNG, and it also offers an energy density that can be compared to diesel fuel. ... This makes CNG a safer choice over LNG. CNG also has lower production costs than LNG.

Teranodon

Member III
Los Angeles County busses, all 2200 of them, are now powered by CNG. It is a remarkable change --quieter (dunno why), and the exhaust stack emits only heat waves. Cleaner than diesel.

What happens to the carbon dioxide that, along with water, is the principal product of all hydrocarbon combustion? Is is recovered somehow?

West Marine sells LNG-powered outboards, but the buzz around the docks here is that they don't work very well.

I converted my E34 from CNG to LNG (propane), mostly because the CNG tanks could no longer be filled anywhere near me. Frankly, I didn't feel good sitting on a tank of highly compressed gas, even though CNG accidents are extremely rare, and LNG has its own issues...

Saverio

Member III
Good morning to all of you, in Italy it has been more than 10 years that buses in Bologna and other northern cities are running on methane. In Venice there are gas-powered boats, with inboard engines and outboard engines in Ravenna by now they are ready. Years ago I had Boston with a 225 hp Mercury that Tartarini OMC tested for gas fueling with excellent results.