Fixed Port Light Disassembly

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
My fixed port lights leak and have crazed badly. I have removed one but I don't have the screws that everyone else seems to have holding the frame together. Looks like mine were crimped together somehow. I assume I will have to drill these out to separate the frames to get the glass out. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? How would I re-assemble the frames? Tap the holes and use machine screws? I have searched this forum for a few days to try and find the same issue with no luck. Thanks for any input, or links to a remedy.

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
My fixed ports were the same design as this. I drilled out the dimples but on separating the frames the plastic inserts that hold them together all cracked. I used a vice and quick clamps set as spreaders to separate the two halves. To reassemble, I used small square aluminum tubing 1/4" bent at a slight angle, drilled and then riveted with aluminum pop rivets. They seem to have held up fine so far. It seems to me like the inner frame once bolted in place is what really holds everything together.

Last edited:

Mark Roberts

That is very helpful, thank you. Were you able to re-use the the gaskets in the frame? What material did you use for lenses? I am leaning toward acrylic.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
That is very helpful, thank you. Were you able to re-use the the gaskets in the frame? What material did you use for lenses? I am leaning toward acrylic.
The gaskets were destroyed in my early efforts to separate the halves of the port frames, so I didn't even try to reuse them. By the time I was on the 3rd or 4th port and figured out using spreaders to separate the halves I might have been able to salvage them. I just used Dowsil 795 caulk to bed in the new lenses.
I did use Acrylic for the new lenses. I had a local plastics shop make them up. After this learning experience, and then putting new lenses in my hatches, I would just buy acrylic stock and use a flush trim router bit to cut my own lenses if I had to do it over again. I would probably also first bed the lenses in butyl tape to keep them centered in the aluminum channel and then caulk. That worked great for the hatches. I used shims on the ports and it was messy.
I feel like all the techniques I learned here for the hatch lenses are applicable to the portlights and I wish I would've know this before I fumbled my way through - https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/lewmar-superhatch-lens-replacement.108/

Mark Roberts

The gaskets were destroyed in my early efforts to separate the halves of the port frames, so I didn't even try to reuse them. By the time I was on the 3rd or 4th port and figured out using spreaders to separate the halves I might have been able to salvage them. I just used Dowsil 795 caulk to bed in the new lenses.
I did use Acrylic for the new lenses. I had a local plastics shop make them up. After this learning experience, and then putting new lenses in my hatches, I would just buy acrylic stock and use a flush trim router bit to cut my own lenses if I had to do it over again. I would probably also first bed the lenses in butyl tape to keep them centered in the aluminum channel and then caulk. That worked great for the hatches. I used shims on the ports and it was messy.
I feel like all the techniques I learned here for the hatch lenses are applicable to the portlights and I wish I would've know this before I fumbled my way through - https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/lewmar-superhatch-lens-replacement.108/
Thank you very much! Any chance you have a picture of your spreader work around for separating the frames?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I really suck at photo documenting my projects. I have my wife looking through her photo roll to see if she got any pics of the process.

I remember being able to fit the narrow end of the frame over the square corners of my bench vise and then cranking open the vice.
For the wide ends I was able to use an Irwin Quick-Grip clamp in spreader configuration:
1618001439763.png

Also, be prepared for quite the ordeal in cleaning up the old gasket sealant. Whatever they used for that is tenacious! The best thing we found was a sharp narrow scraper (be careful not to gouge the aluminum) and rubbing alcohol. A wire wheel on a Dremel tool helps too.

Mark Roberts

I really suck at photo documenting my projects. I have my wife looking through her photo roll to see if she got any pics of the process.

I remember being able to fit the narrow end of the frame over the square corners of my bench vise and then cranking open the vice.
For the wide ends I was able to use an Irwin Quick-Grip clamp in spreader configuration:
View attachment 38207

Also, be prepared for quite the ordeal in cleaning up the old gasket sealant. Whatever they used for that is tenacious! The best thing we found was a sharp narrow scraper (be careful not to gouge the aluminum) and rubbing alcohol. A wire wheel on a Dremel tool helps too.
So much help! Thanks very much!!!

kapnkd

kapnkd
Several archived EYO articles exist on ports and a current source in Ohio for OEM glass to aluminum frame vinyl gaskets plus some how to’s for aluminum frame reassembly.

...I’ve posted one a long time ago of a simple two piece plywood compression jig for the larger Ericson ports that will help squeeze the two haves back together again. Definitely worth a look and consideration as their steep angled corners are a REAL pain to get back together!!

(For minor window/port leaks DO try some “Capt Tolley’s” sealant. It’s a very thin based silicon sealant that seeps into the leaking area by osmosis to stop leaks.)

Mark Roberts

Several archived EYO articles exist on ports and a current source in Ohio for OEM glass to aluminum frame vinyl gaskets plus some how to’s for aluminum frame reassembly.

...I’ve posted one a long time ago of a simple two piece plywood compression jig for the larger Ericson ports that will help squeeze the two haves back together again. Definitely worth a look and consideration as their steep angled corners are a REAL pain to get back together!!

(For minor window/port leaks DO try some “Capt Tolley’s” sealant. It’s a very thin based silicon sealant that seeps into the leaking area by osmosis to stop leaks.)
Thank you I did come across your article on the fixed port lights in my search of the EYO forum. That jig you created is an excellent method for squeezing the frames back together. So much incredible information here!