Fore/Aft Center of Mass

John Davey

Does anyone know where the fore/aft vertical axis center of mass would be on an Ericson 30+? Is it consistantly related to some portion of the keel? Is there anyway to determine it from the basic specifications of the boat?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
On the original drawings

The designer's profile drawings usually show a circle with a cross on it to show this-as it is a calculated point. We can do most things we need to relating to CG issues without knowing the exact spot.

What are you trying to do, and we can likely help you??!:confused:

S

John Davey

Seth,

Thanks for the information on the the center of mass.

I am going to have a trailer made for an Ericon 30+ and I am designing the support system. I need this infomation in order to know where to position the keel support, screw support uprights, and bow stop in relation to the tri-axles to achieve a 7% tongue weight.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Trailer

The best advice (other than trying to get someone at Yacht Transport, Joule , or one of the other trucking companies who do this for a living to tell you how they do it), is that the supports go under the the bulkheads-the bow is supported at the first structural member aft of the bow that is tied to the TAFG. On the sides, again, the supports must go exactly where those bulkheads are, and the keel is supported along the length of the bottom of the keel.

You might also check with J boats, or the J owners website, since big boats like the J 105, etc. are trailered alot and someone there might have more specific info on the tongue weight question.

Of course, one or more of our members may have more to say, too.

Sorry I can't say more without totally guessing.

Good luck!

S

hodo

Member III
John, the rule of thumb I always use is that the axle or center of the two axles should be 5/8 back from the hitch. This would also apply to the center axle of a 3 axle trailer. Also, make sure that the towing capacity of the truck is sufficient for the gross weight of the trailer and load. Make sure you have enough brake to stop it also. Harold