Frozen Aluminum.

Glyn Judson

All,

I can't seem to unfreeze a telescoping arm made up of a 1" boxed anodized aluminum tube that slides into another one.

I've spoken to the manufacturer who offered that all he does in these
cases is to use WD 40 to loosen them. Alas, I've tried that, even using
Gunk brand penetrating oil too as well as heat from a propane torch gently waved at first the entire length of the tubing and then localized in 3" segments. The latter seems to have worked the best yet little movement has been gained. Currently the assembly has been soaking in a one gallon bath of white vinegar in the hope that any mineral buildup
might get dissolved away. That doesn't seem to be working either, as in two days I've been able to pound them apart only about 1 1/2" with about 3' to go.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma? Anyone have an idea or two?

That bath I spoke of consists of a 5' length of 4" ABS pipe capped on
both ends with a 2" open slit cut the length of the pipe. I mention this on
the chance that someone will suggest some form of soaking to release the two boxed tubes.

Thanks in advance,

Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

u079721

Contributing Partner
I asked an inorganic chemist down the hall about this one. His suggestion is to use acid to dissolve the aluminum oxide that is probably binding the two tubes together. Vinigar might work, but more probably dilute muriatic acid should do the trick. After that coat the aluminum with a solution of sodium silicate (used in auto care). This forms a protective layer of aluminum silicate on the surface that should prevent further corrosion to aluminum oxide. Vaseline or lanocoat would work too, but would be awfully messy.

Do NOT let the aluminum soak longer than necessary, as the acid will corrode the aluminum too.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
If you have moved the two pieces at all, then you have broken any chemical bond between them; although there may be some residual oxide impeding motion which acid could help with to a degree, I would be looking for another method to apply brute force. Preferably with a large degree of twist.

Have the pieces of tube got ends you can rig a pully arrangement to, or tie one end to a rock and the other to a car, or something like that?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Glyn Judson

Gareth, It's actually 1" stainless steel hollow tubing protruding at least 12" from inside the aluminum tubing, my bad. I'm able to clamp the stainless steel in my 5" bench vise and by using an L-shaped chunk of stainless steel as a fitting on the end of the aluminum tube and around two sides of the stainless, slam it with a 1-2 pound sledge. It's moved about 1 1/4" in the past several days but now has come to an abrupt stop regardless of what I do. After immersing it in, first vinegar and then today a dilute solution of muriatic acid and applying heat to the outer tube without success as far as any further movement is concerned, I was able to get a good deal of what I think must be aluminum oxide powder with little chunks too to come out of the outer tube with it upside down in the vice while banging the side of it with a plastic hammar. Unfortunately it didn't make a whit of difference when trying to move the inner tube. Right now I have it clamped vertically in the vice again and will begin applications of liquid wrench ror the next few days or more. Email me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com and I'll send you photos of the entire thing and process. Glyn

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Alumimum Oxide

Aluminum oxide is like a weld and I doubt you will be able to separate and move the pole any further. Adjustable reach poles are common to the swimmming pool industry and after having over twenty years working pool decks, I have learned to keep the reach poles and equipment poles extended other wise they will get permanently stuck in the last position they were used in if they sit for any period of time. I know that doesn't help you much. Good luck but your best bet maybe buying a new pole!

Last edited:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I did not express myself very well the other night (I was a tad drunk at the time); but the point I was trying to make is that soaking in acid can be very effective at breaking the chemical bond, but not so much at removing all of the oxide that may have built up impeding two sliding surfaces, when there is nowhere for the oxide to escape to.

At least that is the theory, and it is a problem I have had with a number of items with dissimilar metals in contact, neglected for years. To free them, if I could get initial motion after soaking in acid, then it was just a matter of applying extremes of force.

Can you drill holes in the ends? Otherwise, you may be out of options.

My email in this system may not be up to date, but try me at harrisgareth@yahoo.com with pictures, although you generally seem more ingenious with solutions than I ever am.