FTZ crimper, swap out head for bolt/cable cutter under way ?

Sven

Seglare
The FTZ crimper is great and we are definitely not done with it yet. I don't think we'll want to get rid of it as it could come in handy as long as we have extra power lugs and access to cabling. Who knows what we might barter their utility for, down the line.

I just came across this page http://www.toolbarn.com/blades/bolt-cutter.html and wonder if we could swap the crimper head for a cable cutting head to meet the need for being able to cut downed rigging under way ? We've been looking for second hand cable cutters to put on board but haven't found any yet (in good enough condition to warrant the price).

I guess I could ask FTZ but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks,

-Sven

Blue Chip

Member III
cuttting edge

Svens question got me to wondering...is there a PEOPLES CHOICE for a bolt cutter onboard? Has a certain brand, model, size been adopted as the best one for the average sailor, or is this a VERY personal preference?:confused:

Brian K

Member III
Yes, There Is!

This is really ironic. I just came across an article about cable / bolt cutters in an old BoatWorks magazine dated "Spring 2007". On page 68 of that issue they tested a number of cutters. The Husky 24" bolt cutter from Home Depot was rated great, as was the S & F Tool wire cutter from West Marine which they noted was limited in its range. They also rated a typical hacksaw as being great.