• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

gas Tank construction

Vindauga

my E-27 has a very small leak from the seam at the gas tank bottom that I have been unable to stop with various leak stop products. The tank is fiberglassed to the hull so it can't be removed. Looks like the only option is to cut the tank out; I believe that the tank is aluminum; can anyone verify?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You will help others help you by completing your "signature" under account details. Click on your name at the upper right part of this page.
When we can see your boat, year, and aux. engine, it's faster to home in on some possible answers. Put your sailing area there too. :)

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Can you see the tank ? I would guess that it's aluminum. Don't have a gas engine so not positive though. I'm guessing at that too based on thread title. I think all of our tanks are tabbed to the hull and to get it out you'll have to cut it loose. There are less options to repair a "gas" tank in place unfortunately. I'm sure you know this but the other issue is flammability of gas so make sure you pump it dry and flush/air it out before deconstruction. If you can get it loose can you get it out in one piece ? Maybe someone with a sistership will chime in and give you more info that I can. As Loren suggested it always helps to put all your boat info in & it also helps if you put boat info in the thread title.

Vindauga

Thanks for the reply. Even if I could get the tank free of the hull it wouldn't fit through the lazarette opening. Cutting it out is the option that I can see at this point.
I see what you mean about the thread title, thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is the tank a gasoline or diesel tank? I ask because if your boat has a gasoline engine the tank may be steel. If the engine is a diesel then the tank is probably aluminum.

Vindauga

Thanks. The boat is powered by an Atomic 4 so it's gas. I'm sure that it's not steel or it would be rusted as there is no coating on the tank.

Petro206

Member I
We just went through the same thing.

It's Aluminum, ours was peppered with tiny holes all along the seam closest to the bilge. You can remove it. We used a Fein Tool to remove the glass from the top of the mounts, then unscrewed all the hardware, came right out. Just be extremely careful with the cutting. Remove tank, and take it to a welder friend. :) Have them do a pressure test to be sure. You can also do a water test, but the pressure test will tell you more.

Once the outside is patched up, we did the tank liner goop. "POR15" on Amazon. Swish that around inside the tank and give it a few days to cure, the inside will be like new. Worked like a charm. We put the newly sealed tank in, reglassed the old fittings to the hull, and even put some rubber under the previously damaged seam to prevent future damage.