Gelcoat too thin to polish?

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I was eyeballing my hull with a thought to patching some gelcoat, and rubbing the dull, chalky, surface to a nice gleam.

But then I noticed a patch where it appears to have been rubbed nearly through by a fender. The spot is 8-10 inches in diameter, and I think I'm looking at matting just below the surface (it's sort of mottled with a dark bluish color). I'll take a pic and post it later today or tomorrow.

My question is, what to do? Can thin spots be patched with gelcoat, and then polished with the rest of the hull? Or should I leave the area alone until I drink enough rum to decide it's worth paying $4,000 for a new paint job? Is there another option?

Also, can you recommend someone in the San Pedro/Wilmington/Long Beach area who could do the job?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
During a storm when my E38 was in the possession of the PO at least two boats blew down into the side of the hull and left rather large scratches/abrasions right down to roving on three spots on one side and one on the other. There was no structural damage and the areas were professionally repaired with gelcoat. Apparently gelcoat is very difficult to match and the repairs can be seen as slightly lighter spots especially if the hull is cleaned and waxed. I don't care at all since the hull is sound and the boat suits my needs. An experienced 'glassman should be able to help you out.

If you are really anal and can't stand to have a repair you might be able to see then maybe painting is a better solution. Regarding the price of painting a buddy of mine had very good results just rolling on Interlux high build primer and then topcoating with 2 coats of Interlux 2 part polyurethane on a 22 footer. He just rolled and tipped the topcoat and it looks fabulous. Still does after two seasons. Pretty cheap too. I was pretty impressed as the guy next to him paid for Awlgrip and his cheapo job looks about 95% as good. Just my 2cents. RT

dave.hackett

I've done quite a few gelcoat patches. It's pretty easy and inexpensive. However, you will end up with a nice bright white spot next to your chalky area (very noticable). And yes, that sounds like the same type of mat I've seen in my '79 Ericson 32.

I've done my repairs knowing that I will repaint someday. I'm just trying to rebuild up the worn spots.

So if you want to go that route, go to your local fiberglass place, buy a pint of gelcoat with hardner already added, a hard rubber/plastic spreader and some wax paper. Do the usual sanding and cleaning of the spot, plop a glob of gelcoat on the spot (or spots if covering a larger area), cover with the wax paper (wax side down) and spread it out flat with your hands and spreader. When dry, you can peel off the paper and wet sand smooth (180 then 300 and then finish with 600 grit).

DaveH

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I third on the paint.

I know a woman who has a 35-3 who got T-boned during a race - requiring a repair to an area on her beam, just below the rub rail - about 20" x 10-15". She had a gray hull - and the yard guys who did the repair did nice work - and tried to match the original gelcoat - but of course, the sun has bleached it out somewhat - making matching it impossible.

It's not too bad - but you can see the 'square target area' on her beam if you look for it...

//sse

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Dave have you ever used the gelcote repair stuff that comes ready mixed in a tube by evercote for small repairs? How does the stuff not kick in the can? How hard is it to blend colors to get reasonably close? I have a number of small spots on my decks that are chips and cracks that I would like to address and dont need to get it perfect just close. Whats the best way to experiment with pigmenting as the color changes some after the stuff dries right?