Genoa car blocks for 86 E381

Wind River

Inactive Member
Hello all, this is my first time on this site. I bought an 1986 E381 last year...love this boat so far! However, I have no genoa car blocks on the inside tracks and am thinking about doing some club racing. The Shaefer blocks I have on the outside tracks will not fit on the inside tracks because there is not enough clearance between the track and the deck. As a last resort I suppose I could lift the track and put a spacer under it but I would much prefer to find a set of blocks that will fit. Most of the newer blocks I've looked at seem to be too thick for under the track. What are the rest of you Ericson 38 owners using?

thanks, George "Wind River"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Genoa Cars

Can't quite understand the problem-is it that you can't get the cars off the outboard track? I could see that, but the cars should fit both.
Either way, you should have 1 1/4" T track-Schaeffer or Merriman, and Shaeffer makes several cars that fit just fine. If you plan on club racing, you really should plan on installing a block and tackle system so you can adjust the cars while sailing. This is one of the best methods of "shifting gears" while sailing (drop the cars back in the big puffs, pull them forward in the lighter air and when you ease the sheets for reaching).

If you do this, get the cars with the plastic(Delrin, I think) insert to reduce friction. Since they will now be adjustable, you don't need the locking pin since the block and tackle will obviously have a cleat-However,you can get them with a pin that can be left in the "unlock" position when using the adjuster system, and you would have the option of locking it if you took the block and tackle off for any reason. Let me know if you have more questions!

Seth

Wind River

Inactive Member
Geoff/Seth, thanks for the response. It wasn't very clear now that I read it. The problem is with the inside track and nothing to do with the outside track. It is 1/14" T track-Schaeffer. The problem is that the non skid deck gelcoat surrounding the inside track is built up higher than what I would expect. The older style stainless steel car blocks that you would attach a regular block and spring to fit fine. As you both point out, adjustable car block systems such as Garhauer is the way to go. I had a similar Harken system like that on my CS30. The newer blocks require more clearance under the T-track since they are made of cast aluminium. I tried to fit the cast aluminium Scheaffer blocks I had from the outside tracks but could not get them to slide on because of the non skid. The deck gelcoat is original. I assume that this characteristic is unique to the 381 or similar vintage 38's. Putting a spacer under the track will work but its a lot of work lifting the track and then re-bedding everything. I would much prefer finding a newer set of blocks that fit. thanks, George

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Take some measurements and contact Garhauer. Maybe they can help. To order the EZ-Glide cars you have to send in measurements to make sure there is enough clearance. On my boat I couldn't get them on from the rear because the coaming interfered. I had to remove the shroud u-bolts to install from the front, but even then I had to hammer the cars on because, as you say, the genoa track is recessed (so that it can collect water I suppose!) However, once on they move smoothly. Another thought is maybe Garhauer will send you a short section of its extrusion to see if it will fit.

e38 owner

Member III
I put the Garhauer system on my 1981 ericson 38
Garhauer was very helpful and ground down the cars until they would fit.
I can send you some photos if you would like.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Car trouble?

George,

Of course Garhauer, which I neglected to mention, is an excellent choice, and as "E38" says, they will likely grind the cars down until they fit.

My distance from boat building is being exposed here-The last 38 foot Ericson boats I actually witnessed being built were the 38's and original 381's, and the non-skid was always removed along the line where the inboard tracks were laid (so the track was laid onto a flat surface without any non-skid), with enough clearance on each side so you could even use the Schaeffer cars with the delrin inserts (terrible solution, but better than nothing).

Obviously this has changed or been omitted on the newer boats- too bad!

Sorry about that all!

Fair winds!
S

Wind River

Inactive Member
Thanks for the info everyone! I am going to contact Garhauer and go that route. E38 owner, I would be very interested in seeing a couple of photos of your set up.

thanks, George