• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Glue for Teak

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Polyurethane glue for oily teak? That is, old-standby Gorilla glue off the shelf at Home Depot?

Well, if it's good enough for "Tally Ho" I guess it's good enough for me. [project name corrected]

The joint does have to be good, and of course not structural. And if the joint ain't perfect, I use epoxy as a cheat.

But it's good to have confirmation that polyurethane can be trusted 100 percent waterproof and suitable for teak repairs.

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
Saw this too, but it’s the Washington State ‘Tally Ho’ rebuild. Acorn is scarfing planks with some sort of 2-part glue. Both awesome to track!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I watched that vblog last night too. Outstanding! Leo gave several caveats about using the glue he chose for this particular application. In his case, his simply amazing carpentry skills in repairing the original transom timbers (so he could re-use the 100+ year-old teak boards) justified, to his mind, use of an adhesive with no gap-filling or structural properties. A big benefit here is that you only need to squirt out the amount you need, instead of mixing a pot of 2-part epoxy that's always way more than you really need.