Glyn's hudson sprayer

Sven

Seglare
You might remember that one or two years ago Glyn mentioned using a 1-gallon SS Hudson insectecide sprayer as a shower. The idea was that you put the sprayer on the stove to heat up the water and then used the pump to set it up for spraying. I went to OSH and picked one up as soon as Glyn posted his idea here, but we didn't actually use it until last weekend.

Imagine my surprise when I found out how well it works ! So far we've only used it in the slip to clean the dishes, but it will work great for taking showers too. I put in a gallon on water, put it on the Origo on high for 8 minutes and the result is wonderfull warm/hot pressurized water !

Now I've got to come up with an easily stowable and deployable enclosure for the cockpit so we can shower in port in the cockpit (with the companion way closed) and then step down into the cabin to dry off and get dressed.

Thanks Glyn !

-Sven

Attachments

• Hudson Sprayer.jpg
    Hudson Sprayer.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
I never thought of using one of these sprayers on a stove top, but I have seen them used on deck. The idea there is to spray paint them with matt black paint so they absorb as much sunlight as possible. Works quite well that way.

Glyn Judson

Hudson sprayer

Steve, Ours is identical to the photo Sven attached with one exception. The guy who lives next door to us is a recovering plumber and has a cool set of pipe bending tools that he used on my brass wand. It's now U-shaped so the valve operator can spray it back on themselves. I can actually fill the tank with less than one gallon of water which is enough for Marilyn and me to take a very comfortable shower with including two hair shampooings and there's still water left over. If I happen to slightly overheat the water, a simple twist of the spray nozzle to atomize it a bit more cools it down to a nice working temerature. I stow it on the small floor in our port hanging locker where it gets hidden behind all the wet gear and jackets. Its being there doesn't interefere with the existing hanging space at all. NOTE: If trying this at home kiddies, be sure to leave the hand pump off the top of the sprayer when heating the water. FIt the pump only after removing it from the stove. That way you won't have the darned thing blow up on you and do damage to the boat or someone onboard. It might be of interest why I use this sprayer in the first place. When we bought the boat there was a nonfunctional six gallon, 110v only, water heater in the boat complete with a rats nest of plumbing consisting of half copper/ half reinforced vinyl tubing. I ripped it all out judging that if I wanted a shower, I could take one at the Yacht Club given that my heater would only work when hooked up to shore power. At the time I had a raw water cooled Yanmar 3 which I have since rebuilt and added fresh water cooling to but am not tempted to go back to an onboard large heater when this sprayer works so well with so little water. Glyn E31 #55, Marina del Rey CA, one dock away from Sven and Nancy.