Good starter supplier?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Anybody have a favorite supplier for starters/alternators? I'd like to get a good quality spare starter.
Specifically looking for a Denso style 028000-6260.
Thanks,
Chris

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Starters

I don't know about that starter specically, but when I needed a new one on our old boat I just went to the local NAPA. They had both new and rebuilt, for far less than the local Universal dealer wanted. It was even a "USCG approved" one with the fire screen. I think it cost me about $90 a few years back.

- Cory

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
5432 Starter

A spare starter is a great idea on an older boat. I have a spare starter I purchased from Budda on eBay last year. The original starter on my 1981 E38 burned up last year and to be sure and get one quickly I ordered one from both Universal and from Budda. They are almost identical and both of good quality. I ended up installing the more expensive Universal (Denzo) starter as insurance picked up the tab. I'll be happy to sell the brand new in the box Budda starter for $160. plus shipping if anybody wants it. I figure the new starter I installed will last another 20 years or so, so I don't need the spare.
Tom

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Thanks... I ordered one from a place in Minnesota that does a lot of work with Kubota and Komatsu. We'll see how it goes. I'll post here if it turned out good or bad and let you know. Should have it by the end of the week.
Chris