Green resin under gel coat?

Ian S

Member III
I'm in the process of stripping 15 yrs of paint of my e-27. the previous
owner(s) obviously stripped it down before and did a fine job of over sanding. As I am now sanding I am finding if I go through the white gel coat there apears to be a layer of resin that is green proir to the first layer of glass. Not sure what to make of it. Why would ericson tint the resin or was the boat gelcoated green originally? The other question is now that I'm sanding alot of green pock marks are showing up. it seems as though they may be small blisters that have caused the first coat of resin to stand up and now that the gel coat is so thin they are showing through. The spots are not soft they do not chip away easily, are these blisters? Odd as well, they are only on the port side of the hull? Has anyone seen this? Is the gel coat now so thin that I require an epoxy barrier? If these are not blisters can I just paint the hull? I was hoping to use vc17 over the bottom and was told just to scrape and sand of the old paint and apply new, DONE! seems to simple to me? I would greatly appreciate any and all experience and or opinions.

Last edited:

ref_123

Member III
Not sure if it helps, but...

Ian,

the green stuff you have mentioned, unless it has a clear fiberglass mat structure, is most probably a barrier coat that one of the previous owners put on (if so, he is a smart guy - the trick clearly shows when it's time to stop sanding!). The fiberglass itself is somewhat greenish, but I do not believe you can confuse it with a gelcoat or a barrier coat...

Small blisters that you observe may be - just MAY be - the same issue that was discussed here many times, search on "gelcoat blister". Why they show only on one side is a mistery... If they are gelcoat blisters you'll find tons of information how to fight them off, just hold on on your check book. Or just paint 'em over and wait until you have some time and money to get to them.

Good luck,
Stanly

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I would hazard a guess that your original boot and sheer stripes
were gelcoated green. First the white hull color was sprayed with
the stripes masked off. Then the tinted stuff went on behind the
white. That is probably what you are seeing. It's not a barrier coat-
that was never offered AFAIK.

Martin

escapade

Inactive Member
Fwiw

Ian
If your going to the trouble to sand down to gel coat anyway I would HIGHLY recommend applying a barrier coat prior to your bottom paint. By far removing the old paint is the worst part of the job so while your at this point in the project applying the barrier coating is easy. A product like Interprotect 2000 would work nicely and is very easy to apply (relatively speaking). I have done this to 3 different Ericson's so I have some experience with this. You can check the discussions on this subject elsewhere in this site. BTW, I use VC17 with good results.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 Escapade

Art Mullinax

Member III
My 71/E29 has what appears to be a black coating between the gelcoat and fiberglass? Does anyone know the purpose of this coating? It looks like the gelcoat was sprayed in the mold, then this black coating was sprayed, then the glass work started. It's on the deck as well as the hull.

Jarod

Member III
What was the green stuff?

Hi all

I too am sanding down my ericson 27 for bottom paint and iam encountering this light green stuff...which iam assuming is not a barrier coat, could someone please tell me what this stuff is ...and if iam through the gelcoat can i spot fix these green areas with some epoxy.

thanks

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If you're going through the gel-coat you need to fix those areas with a barrier coat. It can be epoxy, but you should add the proper barrier coat additive for your epoxy system. Better yet, just roll on a couple coats of Interprotect 2000. If you're going through the gel coat in some places, you have no way of knowing how thin you've made the gelcoat elsewhere.

As far as the light green stuff, it just sounds like a resin-rich mat layer to me. Resin is pretty green when it's glass-poor.