Halyards and sunbrella fabric?

bill glasco

Quo Vadis
ok,first on the halyard part,,my 23-2 has the halyards switched, at least they are switched from what i know. i always thought it was good seamanship to always have your jib halyard port and the main starboard, that way no matter what boat youre on,,you always know what halyard to grab. well,,my main and jib are switched and it seems like the main is hard to raise the final foot or so,,as if maybe the "wrong" placement of the halyard is pulling the head of the main a bit away from the mast when it gets close to the top and causing a binding? any ideas? now,for the sunbrella fabric part,,,when i got the boat there was a large square open top sailbag, like a box, inside it other than the storm jib were long rectangular pieces of sunbrella type fabric, the same color as all my sail/tiller covers. i cant remember their exact size but i think they are like 3 or 4 foot long by 12 in wide with slits along the long axis and there are also small black straps with plastic buckles to go thru the slits to attach these strips to something..????any ideas? if i need to i can take pics this saturday. i thought at first they may have been handrail covers, but i dont have any handrails on the boat,,,the only other thing i can think of is,,lifeline cockpit cover? what i mean is like a weather guard installed on the lifelines to protect wave/wind action on the cockpit during weather? dont know the name of what thats called but ive seen them b4. help!:confused:

Steve

Member III
Trailing Sea Anchor

Sounds like a sea anchor designed to drag aft to slow the boat. Perhaps someones idea of making one out of material left over from your sail cover or dodger scarps.

P Abele

Member II
Can't help you on the sunbrella pieces, but if you are concerned about the halyards, why not just re-run them, either while the mast is down the the winter if that is the case, or while in place using Glynn's bike chain method. I've done it twice and it's very easy to do and works great. I would not just switch them without re-running them to make sure they aren't twisted inside the mast - which may already be the case from the binding you describe. Good luck!

richmcn

Member I
Hello!

>lifeline cockpit cover? what i mean is like a weather guard installed on the l>ifelines to protect wave/wind action on the cockpit during weather?

1. right, tie them up to the lifelines to minimize spray in the cockpit

2. halyard placement to quote Jack Sparrow, they are not rules, more like guidelines

on my boat, if you were in the cockpit the main is on the right, the jib and topping lift are on the left but I've raced on other boats where things are flipped

as for the last foot binding, when hoisting make sure everything is slack, mainsheet not cleated, vang off, backstay off, outhaul slack. If it still binds, inspect, or clean and lube the track, maybe there is some junk or burrs up near the top that need to be removed

my halyards are external, and I think yours might be too, so you don't even need the chain trick, just a 60 foot line to sort of follow things around as you pull and basically put the shackle on the front side of the mast where it was on the back

also, look at the mast and see if anybody has labeled the cleats, main, jib, topping lift, etc., to see if you need to do this.

good luck!

rich mcn
e23
chicago