Hanging locker doors

Art Mullinax

Member III
A small project I completed on our 71/E29 That made things easier:)

Our hanging locker doors were always in the way whenever we tried to get something out of the locker. The forward door was OK but the aft door always managed to get in the way when opened. It opened toward the main cabin. From the cabin it was hard to reach around the aft door and reach inside the locker. One day I got ambitious and removed the doors and pondered the situation over my favorite beverage.
Then it hit me, bifold doors! I placed the doors face down, removed the hinges from the aft door and installed them on the forward door for extra support (the forward door now has 4 hinges). Went to home depot, bought a 2" brass piano hinge and installed it on the inside of both doors. I used the original catch that was on the forward door. Now I can reach sheets and dock lines hanging in the locker:)
Art M
71/E29 # 53

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Hung up on locker door

Art
Thank you for pointing out an obvious solution to a problem that had escaped me. This has to be a wonderful answer to an access problem on this boat. I am changing the Formica table for mahogany and in that mod will have a SS hinge left over as I am furring down on the edges of the two table parts and will have only one hinge. A never before experienced upgrade (A no cost upgrade) wow! Did you find a way around the sharp latches that seem to find skin each outing? I am thinking a little grinding.

Where are you docked?

Randy

Art Mullinax

Member III
Sharp Latches.

Randy,
I left the sharp latch (looks like a elongated U) on the forward door. When opened and folded, the latch is hidden by the aft door. It only needs one latch.
I'm located on Lake Keowee at the Keowee Sailing Club. As the crow flies, we are about 4-5 miles above Clemson University. During home games we can hear the band playing the tiger rag!
Art M.
71/E29

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Art
Looks like you are on a smaller lake than I am, Lake Weiss in AL. Good thing these boats handle well since we have to tack often. Do you race and if so do you need crew? (it would be a three hour run but to check out another 29 it would be worth it) I would like see a 29 being raced by a skipper that has a clue that is not attached to a sail. I race several races a year but only for the fun and to learn.

Randy

Emerald

On a similar note to your hanging locker doors, the prior owner of Emerald made a very simple change to the hinges on the door under the galley sink so that it can be completely removed in seconds for performing work. Without this modification it swings into the oven, and is limited in how far it can be opened. He simply made new pins for the hinges that have a loop so you can pull them out and remove the door in seconds. Amazing what it does for access.

Click here if you want to see a couple of pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~independence31/access/access.html

-David
Independence 31
Emerald