Hatch Boards

JMGOMEZ

Member I
I am interested in learning various storage methods used for the main hatch boards on E27's while underway. I normally bring them below and tuck them underneath the quarterberth cushion. I'm hoping someone has come up with a better idea.

Regards,
Joe
:confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I do not remember the context of the thread... but I believe that another member posted a picture somewhere on this site of his E-27 interior showing the hatch boards stored along the front of one of the settee seats, flat against the surface. This would reduce the "kick space" by about 3/4 inch, which might be OK.
To try to clarify, they would be behind your calves when sitting down on the seat.

Best,

Loren in PDX

Bob in Va

Member III
Hatch board cache

A friend of mine had smoked Lexan hatch boards made for his boat and since they cost so much, he had an upholstry shop make up a "satchel" for them, composed of a soft and thick material and consisting of 4 pockets that collapse flat when not in use, but sort of "accordion" out when filled with the boards. A flap with velcro fasteners holds everything in. I decided to do the same on my boat, and have bought the material but have not progressed beyond that point on the project.

JMGOMEZ

Member I
Bob,

I like the idea of the soft accordion type of storage bag for the boards. However, where in the boat would you keep them. I thought that it could be attached to the inside wall of the cockpit locker. This would make them easy to store and accessible without crowding below decks. However, this may also cut down significantly the access area to stuff inside the locker. Any thoughts?

Regards,
Joe

Bob in Va

Member III
Storage space is much more limited on my E23 than on your boat. I wedge the hatch boards beside the cabin step, using a cushion or some soft clothing to keep from marking the wood. There has to be a better place, I suppose, but this keeps them pretty well out of the way.

Glyn Judson

Hatch board stowage

Joe, I had a very simple bag made for the three boards on my boat by a canvas maker who showed me his idea and I went with it. Here's how it was constructed: Picture a piece of Sunbrella the length of the longest board and twice its width laying flat. Now place another slightly narrower piece of the same fabric, the same length over the first piece. Sew them together at the top and bottom and down the middle. Fold them in half along the length and add a zipper around the three outside edges. Add a couple of carrying straps that go from one side, under the bottom and up the other side. This can be done with one length of strap, kind of like folding a rubber band in half. The result will be a bag with three compartments for your dropboards that when inserted, can be zipped up and carried like a skinny suitcase. Here's another try at describing it. Imagine a pillow case that's open at both ends. Fold it in half such that one open end is folded to the other. Place a zipper around those three sides and add the handle, thats how our bag was made. We've had it for years and it's worked like a charm, simple and easy to use. We happen to have a canvas cover over our sliding hatch and boards that we stow the empty bag under. That way it's right there when we open up the boat. The bag and boards get stowed in the V-berth when the boat is in use. Is this too confusing? Call me if you wish and we can discuss it on the phone. 310.453.1892

clohman

Member II
When I had a new binacle/wheel cover made, I had them make 4 pockets on the aft/zipper side. When I open the boat, I place the 4 boards in the cover while still hanging on the wheel and later pull the whole "bag" off to store below.