Hello Ericson owners

John McCarroll

This is my first post in this great discussion group. I have an Ericson 28 named Tamaki. I am in the process of many updates including installing a new Racor filter. One project I need advice on is where I can get a replacement casting (mast step) for my boat? Thanks, John

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard! There is no question this bunch cannot field, and the collective memory usually guides us to fast solutions.

John McCarroll

Thanks Shelman

You'll need to know the manufacturer of your spar and its dimensions. On my 1985 E-26 a kenyon spar was used and a replacement base is available from rigrite.com
They are not cheep, but then again nothing in the world of vintage yachts is.

see example here: http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/3350-MORC.html

I really appreciate your information. I have looked at the site and I will order this asap. I just got the boat covered on Friday and now I can work under the protection of the canvas cover. Cheers! JM

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Glad to help. Did your old step break or did corrosion turn it to goo? Mine had some pretty serious corrosion on the bottom side so I ended up grinding it clean and installing a plastic insulator between it and the stainless plate it sits on, Others I have talked to say theirs seems to be totally unaffected by the passage of time.
Let us know how it all turns out in the end.

John McCarroll

Glad to help. Did your old step break or did corrosion turn it to goo? Mine had some pretty serious corrosion on the bottom side so I ended up grinding it clean and installing a plastic insulator between it and the stainless plate it sits on, Others I have talked to say theirs seems to be totally unaffected by the passage of time.
Let us know how it all turns out in the end.

Hello Shelma, only one corner broke off, I have used an epoxy to bond but it is always broken off by the end f the season. I have too much gunk on it now to have it welded. JM

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi John,

Welcome to the site!

I would second what Shelman mentioned: Before you re-install the new mast step, add a thin plastic sheet between the cast aluminum mast step and the support plate. I just used one of those thin plastic cutting sheets from the kitchen and cut it down to fit.

I would also check the support plate to make sure it is level and flat (unless you know what caused the corner to crack).

Mark

Last edited:

John McCarroll

More info about the racor.

This is my first post in this great discussion group. I have an Ericson 28 named Tamaki. I am in the process of many updates including installing a new Racor filter. One project I need advice on is where I can get a replacement casting (mast step) for my boat? Thanks, John

A note on the Racor repair - it is the whole assembly I am replacing not just the filter. I had engine failure at 4 am in 6 ft. swells coming into the Cape Herd channel West of Tobermorey. The last unit had a crack in the primer and it was not worth fixing the old unit. I did replace the solid fuel lines with flexible fuel hose and hope this will last another 10 yrs.