• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hello, hello, hello out there.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hey, I would like to hear some good summer sailing stories from my fellow land locked sailors. Where oh where did the summer go? I just winterized the fresh water system and defrosted the freezer box in the fridge. But thankfully, the engine is easy to winterize/de-winterize and am looking forward to some good late fall/winter sailing.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
hello from colorado.....where are you sailing out of?

Hey, I would like to hear some good summer sailing stories from my fellow land locked sailors. Where oh where did the summer go? I just winterized the fresh water system and defrosted the freezer box in the fridge. But thankfully, the engine is easy to winterize/de-winterize and am looking forward to some good late fall/winter sailing.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response!

We sail on Lake Pend Orielle located in the North Idaho Panhandle. Large lake at 44 miles long and the deepest spot is approx 1150'. In fact, the U.S. Navy has been on the lake for many years focused on Acoustical Research. They have unmaned subs that they send down to the depths.

We sail out of the Bitterend Marina located at the South end of the lake in the Bayview area. Because of the depth of the lake, we do not have to pull the boat in the Winter as it doesn't freeze where we are. This works great for year around sailing.

We only have about a 1 hour drive from our home North of Spokane WA. So it works well for us.

How about yourself where do you sail?

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Hello Landlockeders

Hello All,

Wow is it really winter time already. So sad. But I am lucky because here in the OK it is sail time all year long. I really love the simplicity of boat prep for my Ericson 29. I am looking forward to sailing next weekend and through new year if I am lucky. Well off to the rack.

Boat Drinks,

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Wes,

People think I am nuts! They probably are correct, but there is nothing like sailing in the heart of Winter with snow on shore and in the mountains where we are. Just me and my boat, sometimes I can talk my wife into the Winter Sailing (should be easier now with the Espar furnace). I have to have my fix (sailing) regardless of the season.

Where do you sail?

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
nice Kim, we are boating just north of Boulder at carter and horsetooth
lake....it'll be gettin' a bit cold here, in the next few weeks...but, we will be up and runnin' come april/may.....we are at aprox 5,000 ft elevation, the lakes are 500 ft higher...."room w/a view"........catch you later...:egrin:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response!

We sail on Lake Pend Orielle located in the North Idaho Panhandle. Large lake at 44 miles long and the deepest spot is approx 1150'. In fact, the U.S. Navy has been on the lake for many years focused on Acoustical Research. They have unmaned subs that they send down to the depths.

We sail out of the Bitterend Marina located at the South end of the lake in the Bayview area. Because of the depth of the lake, we do not have to pull the boat in the Winter as it doesn't freeze where we are. This works great for year around sailing.

We only have about a 1 hour drive from our home North of Spokane WA. So it works well for us.

How about yourself where do you sail?

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Grand Lake of the Cherokees

Kim,

The lake is large, I have about 30 miles of open lake end to end. Even more beyond a bridge at the north end. The winds are great and we end up with few calm days. I love the area. I sailed the Chesapeake out of the Sassafrass river in Maryland for a long time and this area reminds me a lot of that. We share a Marina with three other Ericsons. Which is kind of cool. Oklahoma lakes are known for their power boats so we are outnumbered 100 to 1. Other than that it is great.

Cheers

Grand%20Lake%20Map.htm

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Thanks Wes, sounds like a great place to sail. We are spoiled, as our lake is not well populated due to the terain (very steep mountains). So unless we get way up north to the town of Sandpoint Idaho, we have gobs of room to sail, especially in the middle of the lake. It is 44 miles long. And not a lot of marina's/people/boats to navigate through. There are a few state parks along the way that we can either drop the hook or tie up to a mooring ball.

Do you get a chance to do some overnighting on your lake away from the dock?

stuartm80127

Member II
Sailing at 9000ft Boat's in the icebox right now

Hi Kim and other fellow land-locked sailors.

That year went way too fast for me too. My two boys and I spent virtually every weekend up at our boat, an E27 that we picked up in May. Lucky for me, my boys like to clean and wax so she quickly started to shine again. Spent the later part of the summer doing something about the electrical system that is almost as old as me.

Can't wait for Spring as there is so much work to do to get her ready for an extended 08 summer trip of coastal sailing to Channel Islands and Mexico.

Cheers.

Stuart

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Mile High and a bit more

Sweet,

Sailing at above 5280'. How sweet. When we were at Keystone last summer I saw a lake where there were all these sailboats in a regada. Was truely breathtaking with the mountains in the background. I would defineatly ground my boat if I was there. Im a little ADD so I would probably be gazing at the mountains and run her aground. I guess thats why I sail the amazing flat Oklahoma lake region.

Well happy Thanksgiving no coasters,

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Yep, the Big Turkey day is about here. Wanted to go sailing this weekend but currently have my primary winches off the boat, in the garage for servicing. Hopefully I can get the job done tomorrow before the big gorging session and then get the winches back on the boat Friday and still go sailing.

My wife will probably go shopping! Yuk, I would rather have my toenails pulled out then go through the pain of shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and be safe. Oh, by the way, thank you for helping me try to keep this thread alive and active. It is good to hear from fellow landlocked sailors.