• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hhhhhhhhhoisting the mainsail E32-200 1990

Puget sailor

Member II
We have the reverse of the Tides sail track system. The previous owner replaced the main sail and ordered Teflon slugs with it. I lubricate the mast track with MacLube. I can raise the main by hauling in on the halyard at the mast, and get the main all the way up without a lot of effort. When releasing the halyard, the main sail drops completely into the lazy jacks just like the Tides sail track video.

Hi Marlin, I was all set to go with the tides sail track as part of my 32-3 mainsail replacement. Removing the old sail yesterday I was surprised to see how clean and smooth the aluminum track on the mast actually is. I assumed it'd be the usual old oxidized friction monster. That got me thinking maybe there is a better solution by way of modern low friction slides in that track instead of the tides retrofit. Having noticed the Bainbridge Allslide, which cost a few dollars, compared to the 72 cents or so of standard nylon slides, I decided to do a search here for that specific slide, and found your post from June 2020. Can you report on how they are working out for you over time? It might be a great option if it's even "mostly" better?

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
The Bainbridge Allslip slides worked wonderfully. The ones I had were installed by the sailmaker. You’ll need to remove the webbing straps that hold your current slides and resew the straps with the new slides installed, and that will take a hefty sewing machine. I would apply McLube to the track every spring and that helped keep the track slippery.

However, because of an Ericson design flaw, I switched to the Tides SailTrack system last year. When I tried to raise the main for the first time last spring, I could not get the main up more than about 1/3 of the way. It hit a hard stop and would not go any further. Investigating, I found this:

IMG_6626.jpeg

The Ericsons with a Kenyon mast have an external extruded channel for the mainsail slides, but the channel sections are not long enough to reach the entire length of the mast. The butt joint on my mast is right below the lower spreader, and that is exactly where the mainsail would stop. The small offset you see between the two track sections is enough to keep the slide from going up further.

There is a pair of machine screws at the junction to keep the two sections aligned. As you can see on my mast, the head of the lower machine screw is missing. I used a skewer to probe inside the screw hole and could feel the shaft of the machine screw. Apparently the head of the machine screw snapped off, leaving the rest of the screw shank inside.

Since this is a stainless steel screw in aluminum, I knew they would be corroded together and I would not be able to back out the screw shank from the mast threads. The electrical wiring channel for the mast is immediately behind the mast track, so I was not willing to attempt to drill out the existing screw shank and retap a larger hole for another machine screw.

My next door slip mate has an Ericson 35-3, and I asked him if he had ever seen this problem. He said, "Oh, yeah! I go up the mast every spring and hammer the track sections back together again." I think he is missing both machine screws. I would surmise our winter gales flex the masts enough that the mast track sections get misaligned during the storms. His experience says that, once the machine screws are gone, this is going to be an ongoing problem. Apparently the once a year hammer realignment is sufficient for his boat.

We all have different levels of tolerance for surprises. I did not want to have the mast track sections become misaligned at an inconvenient moment. So I chose to switch to a Tides SailTrack system. It would give me one continuous track for the length of the mast and bridge the splice in the existing mast track.

If your mast track splice still has two intact machine screws, then the Bainbridge Allslip slides are an excellent option. Keep the track lubed with McLube, and inspect the machine screws at the butt joint yearly.

Puget sailor

Member II
Wow, thanks for that great info! This is an amazing resource. I’ll have to see if the 32-3 has a similar track butt splice, and also see how it looks. I could see doing a bit of machining to keep the allslides moving past it, if I have one. Having already made the mental expense commitment to the tides system, I might stay on that course.

I noticed when using the tides gauges to measure the slot that one is too loose and the other quite snug. Any issues with getting the tides track in there? How does it look? I assume it’s just a black plastics trip that sticks out beyond the existing track about 3/4” or so, is that so? Since my mast is already black, seems ok. I may replace my original standing rigging this year too, so that might give me a good chance to inspect the length of the track.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Misaligned tracks are easily fixed by drilling and tapping a new screw at the junction.

But the Tides system is an easy and cheap upgrade. Modern mainsails with full-length battens exert forces not common when the boats were built.

Puget sailor

Member II
Just got this reply to my question about allslides from my sailmaker, UK sails in Sidney BC. My sail order is set up to include a tides system for the sail, along with the track. Might still keep it that way, but Inplan tk get a couple cheap allslides to test out first, since the sound like an 80% solution for a 10% investment if the track sections can be aligned:

From UK Sails:
We carry and use Allslip slides on our sails when possible, because they come in a limited range of profiles they are not compatible with all masts. Also it depends if you have a round slug type profile or a “Flat Slide” profile. The flat slide profile All-slips tend to work better than the round slug style ones. At the end of the day all slips can be a marked improvement over std nylon slides but will never compare to tides when trying to reef off the wind or other sail handling maneuvers that induce a side load onto the mast from the sail.

Anyways give the Allslip a try and see how nice a fit you get. You want to try sliding it while twisting and see it the slide “chatters” at all.

Puget sailor

Member II
Another question to the group on Tides track, I noticed a post mentioning an older tides system with crazing cracks. Any sense of how long the track lasts? I tend to think black hdpe is pretty tough and UV resistant, and my boat will be in Puget Sound, aka the “vitamin D belt”, so UV is something we dream about for 6 months out of the year. If the tides lasts 20 years, I’ll call it a non issue. If it’s only 10, which seems unlikely, I might have second thoughts. Plus it’s not like the original track will be gone, which is good.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From anecdotes, 10 years is more like it around here. But replacing the track insert is easy, takes an hour, and costs about $15 per foot.

One thing about the Tides (which I wouldn't be without): probably need a new sail cover, as the proprietary slides create a high stack.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
I was concerned about a tight fit, too, when measuring. Tides Marine sent me a 6” section of R-4 track before I ordered and I found that the R-4 track fit well in E34 mast track. YMMV.

The Tides Marine track sits 5/8” out from the existing track.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's my four-part DIY novice install on the Tides system.

I rate the track an 8/10. Better than the slugs alone, but not a magic bullet for raising the main with ease.

I find the most important variable is keeping the nose of the boat into the wind while you are hoisting.
It goes without saying, but doing so can be a pain in the rear, especially if you are single-handing.