Holding tank capacity

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Can anyone estimate the approximate holding tank capacity in the 32–3? (i.e., how many person-days of use)
I’m trying to work out for a solo sailor, how many days of ‘normal’ use of a flushing head will bring the holding tank up to a level that needs to be pumped out.

windblown

Member III
in our 1985 32-3, the holding tank is 13 gallons. Not sure how to translate that into days of normal use. I think the biggest factor is not so much the human output, per se, as the volume of water used for each flush. We tend to cruise dock-to-dock, and we use marina facilities when at the dock during the day, and only use our head at night or while sailing. At that rate, two of us can be out for a week to ten days before needing a pump out. That would suggest we average 1/2 to 1 gal per person per day.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our E30+ has a 15 gallon holding tank. Early on in our ownership we were cruising with another couple, at anchor for 2 nights. The next morning, day 3, the tank was bulging and I hastened to empty it. :(
Now after many years with our boat, my wife and I can comfortably anchor out overnight, flush our Jabsco toilet about 5 pumps after pee, about 10 for more serious stuff, and be fine, but two days and nights without emptying, not so much.
Everyone is different, but this may give you ballpark information.
Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The holding tank on my E32-3 is 15 gallons (Ronco B173). My first mate and I can use it for about three to four days before pumping out but of course that varies greatly for obvious reasons.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
My first mate and I can use it for about three to four days before pumping out but of course that varies greatly for obvious reasons.
I believe my 38-200 holding tank is a Ronco B187, 20 gallon. With conservative wet-flushing, seems like we can get a minimum of 5 days with the 2 of us. If the skipper doesn't flush her pee paper it saves some rinse water (garbage it like in tropical countries that don't flush paper). We're in the Great Lakes, so no overboard discharge.

But in order to take out the guesswork due to the fore-mentioned variablity - I very highly recommend a tank monitor.
I've used a SCAD TM1 for several seasons now and it's been great. Very easy to install, all external to the tank. I installed the readout meter right above the head. I know what the tank level is before every flush. It works great, with the caveat that calibration is necessary and not super easy.

https://defender.com/en_us/scad-tm1-tank-monitor-with-external-sensor-strip-10040

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I believe my 38-200 holding tank is a Ronco B187, 20 gallon. With conservative wet-flushing, seems like we can get a minimum of 5 days with the 2 of us. If the skipper doesn't flush her pee paper it saves some rinse water (garbage it like in tropical countries that don't flush paper). We're in the Great Lakes, so no overboard discharge.

But in order to take out the guesswork due to the fore-mentioned variablity - I very highly recommend a tank monitor.
I've used a SCAD TM1 for several seasons now and it's been great. Very easy to install, all external to the tank. I installed the readout meter right above the head. I know what the tank level is before every flush. It works great, with the caveat that calibration is necessary and not super easy.

https://defender.com/en_us/scad-tm1-tank-monitor-with-external-sensor-strip-10040
Yes, I too think that a tank monitor helps a lot. I use a ACU-gage Ultra 8 tank systems monitor, for my waste and two fresh water tanks. There are many others out there and I’m not recommended this one, it’s just what I installed and seems to work well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With no overboard discharge on the 32-3, I devised a portable urinal using a Clorox bottle cut in half on a 20' lanyard. Enclose personal apparatus in container while standing safely at the binnacle, and fill. Hurl Clorox bottle urinal over the stern, then retrieve with lanyard. Leave in cockpit for next use.

This saves holding tank space and is much safer than dangling over the fantail at midnight, one hand on the backstay and the other on Johnson. Unknown number of sailors drowned that way, as nobody wants that cause of death on the certificate.

If you do fill a holding tank rigged for deck suction discharge only, the solution isn't pretty if there's no pump-out station. And when I got to Nawiliwili, there wasn't. The solution was accomplished at midnight, and involved an hour-long hose flush of contents down my own deck and through the scuppers into the harbor, followed by a siphon to empty the tank, followed by a long shower while cowering like a criminal.

When I asked the dockmistress about the broken pump-out facility she said it had been inoperative for five years.

Really? So what do people do?

She just smiled and shrugged. "We're in the middle of the Pacific here."

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Interesting idea, that Clorox bottle thing, because I’ve risked life and limb a few times leaning over the push pulpit when nature called and I just couldn’t leave the wheel in a 30 knot blow. But I also found this item designed for airplane pilots. I guess no matter what cockpit “you’re in” (sorry for that terrible pun) when you need to go, you need to go!