• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

how many models were built?

patrscoe

Member III
Is there any data out there on how many Ericson's were bult by each model?
Seems like more 35-3, 38-1 and 38-200 are out there then any other models.

I have looked at a few spec websites as they typically have approx quantity of make and models but they have nothing on Ericson sailboats.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
It's interesting how perceptions vary. It seems to me like there are a lot of 32-3s out there. It would be interesting to see numbers on this.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Not very exact but a Practical-Sailor review from 2000 cites 32-1: "well over 500, 32-2: "more than 700". A Cruising World review of the 32-3 says "at least 69".

I'm more certain of the quantity of E31s - the owner of hull #71, the last one made, is a member here. I have hull #51. Another member here, who is less active these days, had corresponded with as many E31 owners as he could find worldwide and kept a spreadsheet of all that data, so pretty sure about the E31.

markvone

Sustaining Member
I'm certain there were 28 Ron Holland designed E33RHs made and 32 E36RH (plus an aluminum prototype).
I believe the largest production run for an unchanged model was 1302 for the E27 over 9 years:

Interesting that the Practical Sailor review of the E27, linked above, considers the two traditional Bruce King designs (E31 and E36 cruising) and the two Holland designs as "busts". I assume this is based on the number of boats sold. I'm sure owners of all four of these models (I've owned two of the four) would say the opposite. The traditional design of the E31 and E36 and the sailing performance of the E33RH and the E36RH added to the construction quality of Ericson is what attracts people to these designs.

Mark

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I don't remember where I found this, and have no idea of its accuracy, but...

Ericson Hulls.jpg

peaman

Sustaining Member
Not very exact but a Practical-Sailor review from 2000 cites 32-1: "well over 500, 32-2: "more than 700". A Cruising World review of the 32-3 says "at least 69".

The Cruising World article says that of those 69, some were built by Pacific Seacraft. As I understand, the PS boats would be designated as 32-200, with minor differences in build, so fewer than 69 32-3's? I expected a bigger number.

Also, the table shown by bgary indicates the first hull number for 32-3 was 601. My hull #737 would suggest at least 136 were built by Ericson (not PS).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One bit of numbering trivia: EY started their production run of the Olson 34, with #100. We have # 108, thus the 8th one molded out. I believe that EY, and other boat builders, used this numbering scheme. Perhaps it was to obviate the need for leading zero's in the HIN requirements, but I really do not know.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand, the PS boats would be designated as 32-200, with minor differences in build, so fewer than 69 32-3's?

My impression is that most 32-200s (aft head) were built by Ericson, starting in about 85. Some--a few--more were built by PS around 1990.

There's a Pacific Seacraft variation called the Regatta 333 which I recall seeing for sale as a 1998 model, which would have been at least 8 years after Ericson folded. It's rare, and in photos it looks like the E32-200. PS also made an E38 called the 380 after the demise of Ericson.

The end-game data is obscure, though, so random notes are all we have.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Making some coarse inferences from this thread...

https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/e-32-hull-wiki.17380/post-151208

...it appears that 32-IIIs were made through at least hull #787 (starting at #601, that implies 180+ of that version), and my guess is that the 32-200 began production in around 1988, perhaps starting a new sequence with hull #801. If that's the case, there appear to have been at least 100 of the aft-cabin models (hull #915 is the last specified in the wiki)

But there are lots of question-marks. For example, #889 is shown in the wiki as a 32-III, while #788 is shown as a 32-300.... since they were the same hull, is it possible they built them with the same hull-number sequence, and/or that production of the two models went on in parallel for a bit? Don't know.... the deck tooling (and maybe the TAFG) for the 32-200 were different from the 32-III but either way it seems possible that over 300 of the 3rd-generation E32 hulls were built.

Bruce