How much is it going to cost to refinish/paint my boat

Wolfy189

Member I
My 1972 E29 is looking very unloved : ( I received her this way 3 years ago. We've decided to keep her so it is reasonable to spend some money and make her attractive. I don't have the time nor the inclination to tackle this job. I'm interested in your thoughts on how much I should expect to pay. Thanks

Walter Pearson

Member III
Different boat in different times with no doubt some different details, but some numbers for comparison:

E27 deck Awl-Gripped in 1999 - $4652 with about $545 worth of supplies provided by me to the firm doing work.

This included complete removal of the original non-skid pattern, building up those areas, and application of contrasting Awl-Grip with grit in those areas. This is not something I would recommend because the grit uniformity and effectiveness was not what I would have liked.

Estimate for topsides painting E27 in 2012 - $5737

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know about professional costs, but I helped a friend paint his 26 foot boat a few years ago--both the cabin top and the hull above the waterline. His boat was old and in rough shape. It wasn't nearly as hard as we thought--two days prep time and two days painting and it looked like new at very low cost. We did not remove the deck fittings as is often recommended for a perfect job, but rather just painted around them and it turned out well. Painting the hull was the easiest part. Just a consideration....

Frank

Walter Pearson

Member III
Should have mentioned the work I had done was by professionals. Also should revise the deck refinishing costs because the cockpit sole and divider had to be completely repaired - after I cut away and removed the soggy stuff. So the deck refinish alone (1999) was $3500 and the boot and sheer stripes were and additional $457.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, I did my e29 last summer and the paint alone was about $1000. I couldn't even guess how many hours it took to sand off all the old stuff and repair various dings in the hull. My guess is that paying a boat yard to do it would cost more than the boat is/was worth.

Last edited:

cswim

I am in the same situation. I am near Baltimore and I am looking to have the topside painted before next season.

Wolfy189

Member I
Thanks for the input. The cost, benefit is really not there I suppose BUT, I'll probably get it done anyway : )