How to take down the mast?

kjell72

kjell72
Hi all

Ericson 29 feet from 1971

I am currently in fiji en route to Norway and have to do some forward thinking. In the canals of France i will have to take down the mast. Has any one done this on a boat like mine?, is it as easy as it should be or is there something i should be aware of?,

Too see how far a cheap Norsemasn can go with a 29 foot boat with an atomic 4 engine take a look at my webiste. www.trafficated.com

kjell

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
You are sort of a legend around here. Doubtful anyone else has taken a E29 that far before. Regarding removing the mast. Someone here posted a link or actually pulled their own mast by using a bridge and block-n-tackle to raise it. I am guess you could use the vang assembly to lift it up and then someone else could guide the mast base while you lower it to the deck. Should work. RT

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you use a four to one ratio block system you will need about 150 feet of line on the blocks to allow the mast to be lowered to the deck. The mast and rigging is around 200 LB and the mast is set on a stump mount that is about 1 ¼” tall. When we dropped my mast we used a lift bucket and it lifted easily off the stump. Having been in the salt yours might need some wiggling to get it off the stump.

We made a loop in a line around the mast and raised it to the spreaders. I tied one end of the line to the halyard cleats to take the load off the spreaders. This height was a good balance point for the mast, slightly bottom heavy. My boat had pluggable connectors for the wiring in the base of the mast. You will need a center support for the mast and rest the ends on the bow and stern rails.

Good luck and keep the video and info coming, you are making us E29 owners proud.

Last edited: