I need some fastener help

Glyn Judson

All, I'm just finishing up a windlass installation and am having difficulty finding eight (8) each, #8 X1 1/2" bronze, flat head, Phillips machine screws. I really need 1 1/4" but can cut longer ones down for that matter. I can buy a box of 100 but don't feel good about that given that I only need so few. If any of you could suggest a known source of eight of these screws I'd appreaicate an email or a call. Here'w where I've already looked: All of the ususal suppliers in Marina del Rey, Santa Moica, Los Angeles, Gig Harbor WA and Annapolis MD. My direct email address is glynjudson@adelphia.net, my home phone is 310.453.1892 and my cell is 310.804.9198 Thanks in advance, Glyn

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Glyn - I have bought fasteners in ones and twos from Douglas Industrial, in Watervliet NY, but not in the last couple of years. They are local to me. I have no idea if they carry bronze.

Their website has no info other than an email address and a phone #.

http://www.douglasind.com/

Another idea would be to call a classic boat builder. Try Scarano Boat Building in Albany NY. http://www.scaranoboat.com/

Glyn Judson

Tom, Even Douglas Industrial came up zip. More ideas anyone? Somebody have a stash of used ones kicking around in a bin in the garage somewhere? Even too long would be just fine, I could cut them down, Thanks all, Glyn

Emerald

We already tried CMF - had to buy 100

I actually talked to the owner about this, and he responded that the problem is that the folks who use silica bronze machine screws tend to be doing "classic" type work, and the old stuff was all sloted, so that's where the demand is. We both agreed in our chat that phillips has been around a long time, but for the hard core vintage folks, they want slots.... :esad:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Did you say that you tried Jamestown Distributors? They're really good for old-boat/wood-boat/classic-boat type supplies.

Also, not to pry, but what's so bad about slotted? I imagine you'll only be installing these once, and then they'll be all set, right? And I have to admit, slotted does look better (but then I'm a traditional furniture builder, and have the same bias for "original" hardware when it comes to slotted vs. philips screw-heads.)

Nate

Glyn Judson

nate, I did try Jamestown to no avail. There's nothing wrong with slotted screws and in point of fact, they're more traditional than Phillips but every time I redo or add something to the boat, I exchange slots with Phillips and split ring washers with Nylok. It's simply a shop practice that I've imposed on my self and to have the slots on the deck adjacent to all others with Phillips goes against my aesthetic grain. As you might already know, I oredered 100 each 8-32 x 1 5/8" Reed & Prince (Phillips) head silicon bronze machine screws that wil fit the bill. Apparently Phillips head X's are flat at the bottom and Reed & Prince come to a V point. Reed & Prince were a company who made this style and have long since gone out of business but the name persists when describing the type of X head. Glyn

jkm

Member III
There is a hardware store over on Sepulveda near George Pettrocelli's Steak House. I think it is called Culver City Hardware. They have the best selection of quality stainless in our area. If they don't have any, see if they can get put you in touch with a bolt/screw rep.
I no longer waste my time with West Marine unless I just feel like shopping like the rich.

Glyn Judson

Dear jkm, You're right it is called Culver City Hardware and it was one of the first places I visited along with West Marine in MDR, Boaters' World in MDR, B&B Hardware in Culver City, Busy Bee Hardware in Santa Moica and the Ships Store in Marina del Rey. None of them had what I wanted but as of today I've found what I need and will have new hardware installed on the boat soon. Thanks, Glyn